Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which laptop should I get as a college senior going to graduate school in a year?

I would need it to be portable and not more than $1300. I will be commuting about 2 hours every day to school. I am having trouble deciding between the new MacBook 12 inch, the 13 inch MacBook Air and the 13 inch MacBook Pro. I would primarily be using it for schoolwork, internet, and a few movies, about 1,000 songs and 3,000 pictures. Thanks in advance!

Posted on May 19, 2015 6:04 PM

3 replies

May 23, 2015 6:04 AM in response to adinafromny

I strongly urge you to look at the MacBook Pro 13. It is the best bang for the buck, and unless retina display is critical for your use the CPU speed, the ports and the usability far outweighs (pun intended) the small additional weight.

I have owned the MBA 11" and the MacBook, and as my main primary laptop I would not recommend either (they are good as a second laptop to haul around on flights, etc). And the MBA 13" is a nice machine, but I think you will get more from the MacBook Pro.

So look at MBP 13", followed by MBA 13". Skip the MacBook for now. It is laggy and has way too many limitations.

May 24, 2015 4:52 AM in response to adinafromny

Any of these will do what you need, so it becomes a matter of taste more than anything else.

In our family, we have, among others, the MBA 11", MBA 13", MacBook Pro 13", MacBook Pro 15" Retina, and the new MacBook 12" Retina (gold). I do not find the MB 12" Retina laggy. It will do everything you mention with ease. Portability, build quality, and battery life are excellent. The option to power or slow-charge from any USB-port is convenient, if you forgot to bring your charger. The lack of a fan means it is always silent - this is important to me. Of all Macs I know, this has already become my favourite for the kind of light workload which you describe. Be prepared to spend additional money on cables and adapters, until USB-C becomes more common.

May 24, 2015 10:26 AM in response to adinafromny

If you have access to and can use the online Apple Store, look into the online

refurbished and clearance pages, to see if there's a fair price on refurbished.

Some are configured with enough RAM and storage drive for use as-is, and

may be a good value compared to a totally new retail model. The main online

Store inventory allows one to choose a CTO or custom order upgrade page

where items can be added or chosen to increase the usefulness in hardware.

So far, there would probably not be a listing in Refurbished page for new MacBook

12-inch model; however there are recent build year models with full complementary

warranty and these can be covered under the optional AppleCare plan, as well.

The processor and RAM values (potential, if you buy ahead of the need to expand)

are greater in the MacBook Pro, + attempt to future-proof an otherwise sealed design.

Other than the older design currently produced 13-inch MacBook Pro (non-retina,

the only one with the DVD/CD optical drive built-in) none of these allow the end

user to upgrade the RAM memory chips. You can do a few things with the recent

build model of the older design that are impossible with a fully sealed late design.

However in any event, consider the AppleCare extended optional plan coverage.

Also see if your renter or home insurance covers water/accidental damage.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Which laptop should I get as a college senior going to graduate school in a year?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.