Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using apple time capsule as wireless backup on existing network

I just acquired an Apple Time Capsule, 3rd generation (A1355). I have a mac and a PC in my household. My goal in getting this device was to be able to backup both computers on the existing wireless network, but as I've explored setting this up, it seems like it may not be possible.

I'd like to have the Time capsule join my existing wireless network to serve as a remote hard drive for automatic backups. But, as I was setting up the device, it seems that I can only "wirelessly extend" an airport network. My network is run off of a D-Link wifi router. The goal here is to have the time capsule in a location that is removed from both my computers and the wi fi router. Right now my computers and the wifi router are all in the same place. If I added the time capsule to that location through a wired connection, it defeats the purpose of having the backup. My main reason for having a backup is in case someone breaks into the house and steals the computers (which has happened once before). Therefore, it's important that the time capsule is in a different location in a different room of the house, ideally located in a cabinet or drawer that would not be a target for a thief.

From all that I've read, it seems like the only way to add the time capsule to a 3rd party router is to do this through an ethernet cable. Has anyone figured out how to do this wirelessly? For a backup device, seems like keeping it connected to the router through a wired connection sort of defeats the whole purpose of a backup because the backup is right near the equipment that it's backing up.

Of course, I could replace the d-link router with the time capsule serving as the wifi router, but I'd have the same problem - that location is right by the computer and would be a prime target for a thief.

Any suggestions? I purchased this time capsule because it received good reviews, but am surprised that what would seem to be a pretty basic backup requirement is missing on this machine. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Posted on May 19, 2015 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2015 9:04 PM

From all that I've read, it seems like the only way to add the time capsule to a 3rd party router is to do this through an ethernet cable.

Correct

Has anyone figured out how to do this?

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the D-Link router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule. Since an Ethernet cable can be run up to 300+ feet with virtually no signal loss, you can locate the Time Capsule just about anywhere you want. For example, mine is located out of sight, about 50 feet from the main router.

This is far and away the best way that you can connect a Time Capsule to a network.

If you cannot run the Ethernet cable, then a pair of Ethernet Over Powerline (EOP) adapters might be able to send the signal over the existing powerlines in your home. The theory with these devices is that you already have the wiring in place.....you just need the adapters. In practice, things do not always work as well as the theory might suggest, so if you decide to try a pair, it would be good idea to have a clear understanding of the store's return policy before you buy. The bottom line....you will not know how well....or even if....the adapters will work until you try them out in your home.

Least desirable in terms of performance......If you really want the Time Capsule to connect using wireless.....you will need to add an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme and connect it to your D-Link router using a short Ethernet cable. Configure the AirPort to "create" a wireless network. Once you have done this, the Time Capsule can "extend" the signal from the other AirPort.....as long as it is located where it can receive a good wireless signal.

Wireless is slow, and slower still when you extend a network, since about half of the speed on the network will be lost doing it this way. Not recommended, but users regularly ignore our advice in this regard and they do it anyway. Then, they post on the forum complaining about poor, unreliable performance.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2015 9:04 PM in response to BrianVogt

From all that I've read, it seems like the only way to add the time capsule to a 3rd party router is to do this through an ethernet cable.

Correct

Has anyone figured out how to do this?

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the D-Link router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule. Since an Ethernet cable can be run up to 300+ feet with virtually no signal loss, you can locate the Time Capsule just about anywhere you want. For example, mine is located out of sight, about 50 feet from the main router.

This is far and away the best way that you can connect a Time Capsule to a network.

If you cannot run the Ethernet cable, then a pair of Ethernet Over Powerline (EOP) adapters might be able to send the signal over the existing powerlines in your home. The theory with these devices is that you already have the wiring in place.....you just need the adapters. In practice, things do not always work as well as the theory might suggest, so if you decide to try a pair, it would be good idea to have a clear understanding of the store's return policy before you buy. The bottom line....you will not know how well....or even if....the adapters will work until you try them out in your home.

Least desirable in terms of performance......If you really want the Time Capsule to connect using wireless.....you will need to add an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme and connect it to your D-Link router using a short Ethernet cable. Configure the AirPort to "create" a wireless network. Once you have done this, the Time Capsule can "extend" the signal from the other AirPort.....as long as it is located where it can receive a good wireless signal.

Wireless is slow, and slower still when you extend a network, since about half of the speed on the network will be lost doing it this way. Not recommended, but users regularly ignore our advice in this regard and they do it anyway. Then, they post on the forum complaining about poor, unreliable performance.

May 21, 2015 6:47 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the helpful information. I've gone ahead and connected the time capsule to my D-Link router via an ethernet cable.

However, this does lead to another question. I do actually have a powerline system in my house already. So, I may end up locating the time capsule remotely connected to the D-link router via powerline.

There is one part of my house that doesn't get a strong wifi signal from my D-link wi fi router. Would it be possible to connect the Time capsule to the router via powerline in that location and have the time capsule wi fi in that location mirror the D-Link Router settings?

In sum, I know that it's not possible to extend the wifi signal wirelessly from the D-link router to the time capsule. However, is it possible to use a "wired" connection (via powerline) to the time capsule to extend the D-link wifi network?

I'd rather not have two different wireless networks running in the house because I assume that means that those networks could interfere with each other, right? And it would require that wi fi devices switch constantly between the networks depending on where on is in the house.

Course, I could also solve this problem by purchasing another powerline plug with wifi output, but wanted to see if I could accomplish this with stuff (time capsule) I already have on hand.

May 21, 2015 9:24 AM in response to BrianVogt

Would it be possible to connect the Time capsule to the router via powerline in that location and have the time capsule wi fi in that location mirror the D-Link Router settings?

Sure, no problem.

However, is it possible to use a "wired" connection (via powerline) to the time capsule to extend the D-link wifi network?

Yes

If you want to set things up this way, here is what I would suggest:

Connect a short, spare Ethernet cable.....any length will do.....from one of the LAN <--> ports on the D-Link router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

Power up the Time Capsule for a few minutes, then click the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station. Just below, that click on Time Capsule. The illustration below shows an AirPort Extreme, but you will see Time Capsule on your screen.

User uploaded file

When you click on Time Capsule, that will start up the setup "wizard", and it will take a minute to analyze the network and then suggest the correct setup for the Time Capsule. Your screen will look similar to the illustration below, except that you will see a Time Capsule.

User uploaded file

Network Name..........Enter the exact same wireless network name that the D-Link router is providing

Base Station Name...Enter a device name that you want to assign to the Time Capsule

Password..................Enter the exact same wireless network password that the D-Link router is using

Verify.........................Confirm the password again

Click Next

The "wizard" will set everything up for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

Now power down the Time Capsule and move it to the location where you want to install the device, and hook up the powerline Ethernet connection to the WAN "O" port and power up the Time Capsule.

At this point, if the powerline Ethernet adapter is delivering a good signal, you are all set.

Using apple time capsule as wireless backup on existing network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.