Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to join two subnets?

I have a printer connected to my server by Ethernet. The server otherwise uses WiFi for LAN/internet.

The printer's subnet is on 192.168.2.x (fixed IPs); the LAN is on 192.168.1.x (DHCP from the router).

How can I bridge the two subnets, so that the printer can get to the router?

Posted on May 19, 2015 11:28 PM

5 replies

May 20, 2015 3:54 AM in response to benwiggy

I am guessing you have an Airport that you connected to your ISP's router. This is producing a double NAT. If this is the case, simple change your Airport from Router mode to Bridge mode. This will turn off the DHCP service on the Airport and allow it to bridge the primary network. All devices will be on the same subnet.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "Yosemite Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

May 20, 2015 4:01 AM in response to Strontium90

No, I don't have an Airport Extreme/Express or similar.

The printer is attached directly to the Server Mini by Ethernet. The Mini connects to the LAN via WiFi. The router is in another room (where the phone socket is), and it's impractical to have the printer there.

I have read that I need to use the "route -n add" command. Would this work?

route -n add 192.168.2.1 192.168.1.72

Or should I use the Server's DNS?

May 20, 2015 4:53 PM in response to benwiggy

Should be relatively straight-forward:

• Go to System Preferences -> Sharing
  • Enable Internet Sharing
  • Select
    • 'Share you connection from WiFi'
    • To computers using Ethernet (or equivalent)

This should do the trick, so that the printer can access the internet. However, you have to test if you can access the printer from the server (haven't done that), but should be possible via Bonjour.

LL

May 21, 2015 5:26 AM in response to Long Lane

Any chance you can run a patch cable to where the printer is? I am concerned with the impermanence of the solution. Relying on the host device to "share" the printer means that the host can never sleep or be shutdown. If the host machine is off or sleeping, no one can print. Directly connecting the printer to your network is the most reliable method.

How to join two subnets?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.