Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ibook G4 won't connect to Comcast wifi

Hello,

I purchased two IBook G4 laptops and I did a clean install of 10.4 and neither of the laptops will connect to my Comcast home wifi network. I took the security password off the wifi connection and they still will not connect. The wifi icon at the top of the screen is grey and the system says the Airport is turned on. I was told that I needed a Airport base station, but I had a IBook G4 a couple of years ago and never had to have a base staion before. I was wondering since I did a clean install of the OS if I needed to connect with a wired connection and do any updates to get the wifi updated to work. I also made sure my Comcast wifi connection is set to G,N protocols. Any help would be great so I can get these working for my two young kids to use.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on May 19, 2015 7:18 PM

2 replies

May 22, 2015 11:26 AM in response to belgin801

You may have to acquire an earlier model AirPort base station, such as an Express from a

similar era of portable computer vintage for best use with these; wireless security protocols

for the older gear is not the same as for later, so you'd find the iBook G4 with Tiger 10.4.11

to prefer either WEP or WPA, the latter is better and newest of these. Depending on which

iBook G4 models you have, their internal specifications may have direct bearing on how

they would connect to the internet by wi-fi and their correct settings or limitations.

Earlier iBook G4 (like other PowerPC early G4s) were supportive of the older 801.11b/g

and did not support security protocols such as WPA2, unless they had sufficient hardware

to run Leopard 10.5.8; usually WPA could be available in USB2.0 series late iBook G4s

with Tiger 10.4.11; mine has 10.5.8 installed, with 1.33GHz last-model iBook 12-inch G4.

Older hardware information could be checked online at everymac.com to see the wi-fi spec.

The Apple Support spec pages for old vintage/obsolete hardware are more difficult to find.

Here are most/all iBook G4 series (white-dual USB, later models) specs from everymac:

•iBook G4/800 12-Inch (Original - Op) 800 MHz PowerPC 7457 (G4)

•iBook G4/933 14-Inch (Original - Op) 933 MHz PowerPC 7457 (G4)

•iBook G4/1.0 14-Inch (Original - Op) 1.0 GHz PowerPC 7457 (G4)

•iBook G4/1.0 12-Inch (Early 2004 - Op) 1.0 GHz PowerPC 7447a (G4)

•iBook G4/1.0 14-Inch (Early 2004 - Op) 1.0 GHz PowerPC 7447a (G4)

•iBook G4/1.2 14-Inch (Early 2004 - Op) 1.2 GHz PowerPC 7447a (G4)

•iBook G4/1.2 12-Inch (Late 2004 - Op) 1.2 GHz PowerPC 7447a (G4)

•iBook G4/1.33 14-Inch (Late 2004 - Op) 1.33 GHz PowerPC 7447a (G4)

iBook G4/1.33 12-Inch (Mid-2005 - Op) 1.33 GHz PowerPC 7447a (G4)

•iBook G4/1.42 14-Inch (Mid-2005 - Op) 1.42 GHz PowerPC 7447a (G4)

You may be able to run a second older version AirPort express from an Ethernet port

on another base station or the main cable or ISP router; or check into a bridge so as

to share the internet source across more than one kind of wi-fi spec. Another option

that some may use to try & connect, would be to shut down all wi-fi security from the

main wireless base station. Not a great idea, except to test connections with older gear.

Later gear also may require different passwords whose length may not work w/ old

Macs; but the protocol and hardware -related issues may be why they won't connect.

•Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting - Apple Support

•Creating a small Ethernet network - Apple Support

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wi-fi+to+old+iBook+G4+from+new+wireless+rou ter

The first-generation AirPort Express would like be helpful, or a little bit newer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort_Express

With more information on a specific iBook G4, the hardware question of supporting a

later or more recent wi-fi security protocol and settings may be more easily answered.

Good luck! 🙂

May 23, 2015 1:44 PM in response to belgin801

There also is a possibility the iBook G4 computers have missing or defective wireless cards.

Since there's no way to tell (here) which build models or specifications of those iBook G4s

the system profiler should be able to tell you if a wireless airport card is seen in Hardware.

Otherwise it's a matter of discovery, trial and error; perhaps one of those other similar issue

threads in Power Book ASC may be workable in your instance, with correct details included.

PowerBook - ASC discussions community

If the AirPort is chosen and moved to the top category of Network preference panel, then it

may be used, providing the other settings and hardware specs are also proper...

Good luck...! 🙂

Ibook G4 won't connect to Comcast wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.