Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I keep the same size image in TextEdit as on the Web?

Why is it that when I copy/paste an image from a website to a TextEdit document the image SOMETIMES is much smaller. On the Web it's half a page and in TextEdit it's 5cmx5cm (2 inches x 2 inches).

Most of the time it is the same size as on the Web or very close to it. And big or small it's from he same website!

I copy by sliding the pointer over the photo and it becomes pink, then I click Command C to copy and then command V to paste it in the document.

Sometimes I do Edit-->copy/paste but it's the same. I tried to right-click then "Copy Image" then paste it but all of these give the same results.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on May 19, 2015 11:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2015 8:50 PM

Chances are, it's the nature of photos on the web.

The designer of the web page has the ability to scale images to larger or smaller than their 'natural' size - e.g. he could have a 500 x 500px image that he tells the browser to display at 1000x1000px.

This is often done for performance reasons (smaller images require fewer bytes and transfer over the network quicker), so the designer might have a quarter-sized image that he tells the browser to scale up to display at full size.

When you copy that image into TextEdit (or anywhere else), you lose that scaling information, so what you get is the original image size.

There isn't really very much you can do about this, other than to re-scale the image in the destination application.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2015 8:50 PM in response to tony gardino

Chances are, it's the nature of photos on the web.

The designer of the web page has the ability to scale images to larger or smaller than their 'natural' size - e.g. he could have a 500 x 500px image that he tells the browser to display at 1000x1000px.

This is often done for performance reasons (smaller images require fewer bytes and transfer over the network quicker), so the designer might have a quarter-sized image that he tells the browser to scale up to display at full size.

When you copy that image into TextEdit (or anywhere else), you lose that scaling information, so what you get is the original image size.

There isn't really very much you can do about this, other than to re-scale the image in the destination application.

May 24, 2015 1:35 AM in response to tony gardino

How can I do that in TextEdit?

I'm not sure you can. Like its name implies, TextEdit is really about managing text, and it has very limited image handling options. Off-hand I can't see any way to scale images in TextEdit. You might need to look at some other application - either some other graphics app that will let you manipulate images prior to adding them to TextEdit, or an upgraded text/page editing app that can is better suited to graphic-rich 'text' documents. Apple's Pages.app, for example, is inexpensive and has substantial text and graphic handling capabilities.

May 24, 2015 7:23 AM in response to tony gardino

>"There isn't really very much you can do about this, other than to re-scale the image in the destination application."

>>How can I do that in TextEdit?

Indirectly, you could use Preview (for instance) to edit the image(s) contained in TextEdit's .rtfd package:

--Control-click on the TextEdit file to Show Package Contents. A folder will open.

--Open the image(s) in Preview, then Adjust Size (percent, pixels, centimeters, etc.) as needed and save the image(s).

When you reopen the TextEdit .rtfd, you'll see the effects.

May 26, 2015 3:36 PM in response to mns579

>

"-Control-click on the TextEdit file to Show Package Contents. A folder will open."

Thank you sooo much! I had no idea about this option! That I can see in one folder all the images in the document is great. Half of the images there are Jpeg (12 KB to 451 KB), the others are GIF (569 KB to 1,8 MB). All the GIF are animated. And thus has 20 images or so.

About that: I have many animated photos in GIF. When I open one I see on the right 20 small images.

I know that it is the succession of these 20 images that gives the impression of movement (just like a film is simply 24 images per seconds).

I have no problem changing the size of the first (or any other photos in this "package") but I will get a still photo. I need to change the size of all 20 images which I may or may not do (I'm patient and lazy at the same time).

Is there a way to change the size of one image and that will applies to ALL the other 19 images?

PS: I did select all of them (command+shift) and changed the size of the 1st one but that didn't work for the others (didn't think it would). Apparently, the image must be in the big window before you can change the size (which make sense). Is there another way to avoid changing 20 images, one by one?

how can I keep the same size image in TextEdit as on the Web?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.