Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In iOS 8.3, did Siri loose control of audiobooks?

TL;DR: Starting with iOS 8.3, it seems Siri can no longer skip forward or backward in an audiobook. What gives? Or is it just me?

I listen to audiobooks frequently while running or doing other activities. Sometimes my mind wanders or I otherwise miss something and for quite a while I've been able to use Siri through EarPods with Remote and Mic to skip forward or backward the amount of time I specify. I could say something like "rewind two minutes" and Siri would confirm "jumping back 2 minutes" and the current audiobook would jump back. Same for skipping forward.

Starting with iOS 8.3 (I think, it has been recently, not absolutely sure it was with the 8.3 upgrade), when given either the skip/fast forward or rewind, Siri only confirms "OK, going back" and then starts playing what seems to be a random song from my music collection. Siri doesn't confirm the amount of time to go back any longer and only jumps to another song. Same thing when I try to fast forward. Siri still can start playing the audiobook I specify, but can't fast forward/rewind.

I have confirmed that Siri is getting the entire command I give as it prints on the screen. I have restarted the phone, turned Siri on and off, etc. I haven't reset/restored the phone.

Is this true for anyone else?

I'm guessing it's maybe because audiobooks are moving to the iBooks app in the next version? Could apple have messed up and released different Siri code without the corresponding change in the app?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on May 19, 2015 10:28 PM

19 replies

Jun 23, 2015 1:24 PM in response to Tommykins27

It is not just you, it broke for me probably before 8.3 even, on my iPhone 5. I was hoping that it would be fixed on my new iPhone 6 but no such luck. Why does Apple insist on breaking things that work great?? I can't tell you how convenient it was to be able to skip forward and backward hands-free. This is especially frustrating because the iPhone music player is notorious for losing its place in audiobooks. Thanks for not listening to your customers Apple. Quit Breaking things and calling it progress!!!!!!

Jul 1, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Tommykins27

Looks like Siri control is back in 8.4. I haven't tested all functionality so far, only rewind. Audiobooks are now in iBooks on iOS. Also, audiobook chapters are back! The app itself has some rough edges (doesn't appear to remember where I was previously - at least doesn't remember which chapter). Also, if I try to drag the slider to find a spot in a chapter the audio will play but the slider and time remaining don't show where you are (this seems to happen in later chapters in one of my audiobooks, haven't tested it everywhere). In other words, I could be playing the audio content at minute 43 of chapter 10, but the slider shows I'm at 0 of chapter 10. And it doesn't move.

Jul 1, 2015 12:37 PM in response to Tommykins27

That's good to know, Tommy, thanks for the update. I didn't even realize 8.4 was out (phone hasn't alerted me yet). I listen to a lot of audiobooks, so just after getting my new IP6 and posting my comment above I actually called Apple. They confirmed by digging through some tech notes that indeed this functionality was "purposely" removed, but couldn't tell me what that purpose was! I asked them to please log my request to ADD THIS FEATURE BACK ASAP and QUIT BREAKING THINGS! Of course I would be naive to think Apple actually listened and responded to me, but if even limited and/or erratic Siri control has been put back in for 8.4, perhaps Apple is at least self-correcting some of its obvious blunders.

I will report back on my experiences after installing 8.4. I remain quite surprised that this is the only thread I could find on this topic, and that only a couple of us are on the thread at that!

Jul 1, 2015 9:53 PM in response to dmilazzo

So I installed iOS 8.4 tonight. Just like you said, the voice commands to jump back/rewind, fast forward/advance are working again. But like you, the counter isn't showing accurately. When I give a voice command, it does indeed move the audiobook according to your command, but the change isn't reflected in the counter….it still shows the time that you were at before giving the command. Even when you skip around with the scrubber it seems to lose it's place. So if you are listening to a book and it's showing 1 hour into the book, then you move the slider around and then back to what is showing as 1 hour, you won't necessarily be back at the same place you started.

Don't have any single-file books with true chapter markers on my iPhone right now, so haven't been able to check to see how it behaves with chapterized M4b audiobooks. My mind wanders when listening sometimes, so it's nice to have hands free control again while driving, laying in bed etc.

Maybe next update 🙂

Jul 2, 2015 6:35 AM in response to dmilazzo

Well maybe I spoke too soon. When I first installed 8.4 last night and tested voice control it was working (despite issues with the counter being inaccurate and not reflecting position changes made via voice command). Then last night suddenly it's no longer working again! I tried deleting and resyncing the audiobook and even tried different audiobooks, no luck. It recognizes the voice command and goes through the motion, but as soon as the audio starts again, I'm listening to the same spot I was in before the voice command. This makes absolutely NO SENSE. Tommy, is it still working for you??

Jul 4, 2015 9:23 AM in response to Tommykins27

Tommy: so issues with the slider and counter aside, is it responding reliably to Siri commands?

I'm not really having obvious issues with the slider, except as it fails to move when I order it to via Siri. But it behaves fine when I move it around manually or with the FF/Rewind buttons. My counter seems to work fine, but Siri control is what I really miss.

Jul 4, 2015 12:35 PM in response to dmilazzo

No - it seems to be hit and miss with Siri commands. For example, when I issue a command now, the "Siri" screen comes up that shows what you have spoken and shows a Siri response says "Jumping ahead 1 minute..." with "Open iBooks" right under it, like it doesn't know which app to jump ahead in and it remains paused:

User uploaded file

I gave the command will listening to an audiobook in iBooks.

Chapter one in audiobooks seems to respond a little better - it actually moves forward and starts playing again, even though the screen above is still shown. But in several audiobooks I've tested, it seems a little random. E.g. a "fast forward 1 minute" might result in a 20 second jump instead.

It may have something to do with skipping chapters that iBooks doesn't know I've already listened to. When my audiobooks were migrated from Music to iBooks, the place markers must have been lost. So I'm "skipping ahead" to later chapters to get to where I had been. I'm just choosing the chapter from the dropdown. One book that I have seemed to retain it's marker - when I launched it, it started on chapter 19 (where I was before) and the counter *was* working! But alas, when I launched it again to test Siri on that chapter, it lost my place and started back at the beginning.

So for me, both Siri and the manual controls seem equally inconsistent and buggy. Makes me hope that the siri controls will work once iBooks can play my audiobooks reliably.

Also, most of my Audiobooks are made using Audiobook Builder. The chapter titles are not displayed in iBooks. Not sure if that's on purpose or if there's a problem with that metadata from Audiobook Builder.

I kinda wonder if the Music developers didn't talk to the iBooks developers. This really seems like the basic struggles Music went through to support audiobooks well. They finally got pretty close to nailing it. Feels like a bunch of steps backwards now.

Jul 8, 2015 5:23 PM in response to Tommykins27

I was wondering the exact same thing, on the ios 8.2 I loved the audiobook siri integration and often used the skip back 30 seconds feature while I was using my apple remote. I noticed this feature not working anymore when I updated to 8.3 ; The weird thing is, if I change audiobook title to podcast, the skip feature works flawlessly so I gather that some programmer got sloppy and fiddled with the software code.

Audiobooks has been totally flawed now I updated to 8.4. The titles are simply named track 1 track 2 etc and also it doesnt remember which part of tracks have been listened to, position , I hope these issues will be addressed with the next update.

Jul 11, 2015 9:12 AM in response to Tommykins27

Good news (so far)! I installed iOS 9.0 beta. So far the following have been fixed for audiobooks in iBooks:

1. iBooks remembers where I was in a book and starts there when it launches instead of going back to the beginning.
  2. Dragging the slider works to skip or go back instead of just staying in the same place.
  3. The counter/timeline seemingly works all the time.
  4. Using the advance button seems to work - doesn't skip back to previous chapters (I had that same problem)

Still broken:

Chapter titles still missing.

I haven't test anything else, but this much is encouraging. So far iOS 9.0 beta has been fine on my phone, but Apple recommends you put it on a spare device as it may not be terribly stable, etc.

In iOS 8.3, did Siri loose control of audiobooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.