Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing New Hard Drive

I have a late 2009 iMac (10,1). I'm attempting my first new internal HDD hard drive install and I had a few questions. I have the original install disks if needed.

I bought the HDD from OWC along with the tool kit and the sensor cable.

1) Once I get the install done, can I simply boot into my clone backup, reformat the new HD and then proceed to clone back to the new HD.

2) How will I know if I installed the HD and all the cables correctly. Will I not be able to boot into the clone if the HD is not installed right.

3) I guess I want to make sure what the first procedure is after the HD install is completed.

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10), iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Airport

Posted on May 20, 2015 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2015 5:58 AM

Once installed, boot from the Clone, format the new HD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) GUID partition. Then restore from the Clone to the new HD and you are done. You may need to re-download the Recovery Partition, to do so log into the Mac App Store, choose the Purchases tab and select OS X Yosemite and download and install, don't worry this will not affect your data. Then update to 10.10.3, the most current release.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2015 5:58 AM in response to Joe Gramm

Once installed, boot from the Clone, format the new HD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) GUID partition. Then restore from the Clone to the new HD and you are done. You may need to re-download the Recovery Partition, to do so log into the Mac App Store, choose the Purchases tab and select OS X Yosemite and download and install, don't worry this will not affect your data. Then update to 10.10.3, the most current release.

May 23, 2015 3:55 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Got the new Toshiba 2T HDD drive installed. The anticipation of the install, was worse than the actual install, as it went pretty smoothly. Had the OWC installation video loaded on the iPad for reference..

Cloned my System back to the new Macintosh HD and all seems to be operating very fast and smoothly.

It would have been nice to install an SSD, but for my 6 year old Mac I chose the less expensive option. The 2T drive, OWC tool kit and sensor cable came to a total of $150 US..

My next computer will have an SSD drive. Thanks for the help rkaufmann87.

Installing New Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.