Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do Apple Release old .ipsw files if it is not possible to restore?

Hi,

Like the question states, I'm confused as to why Apple releases previous iOS ipsw files if it is impossible to revert to a previous version?

I know that I can download previous versions of the iOS simulator (at least, some of them can), however I don't understand why the ipsw files are available if they are useless?

Does anyone please know how they might be able to be used?

Thanks!

-- Also, why can I not post to the iOS community? Is there some rep that I don't have? Tx!

Posted on May 20, 2015 2:54 AM

18 replies

Oct 30, 2017 2:57 PM in response to Phil0124

For example, here:

So if I need to revert a device to iOS 8.0.2 for testing (see here *********) then I have to find a retailer which has one in the box with that iOS version. And hope that iTunes does not update it when I activate it?

Or perhaps I could just borrow the user's device (see the link for further info)?

Thanks, again- any other suggestions?

<Link Edited by Host>

Oct 30, 2017 3:00 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks all for your replies, but the link I have is certainly an Apple link- see the first part of the url: *****

Yes, thanks- I understand the simulator is able to test some features, but many (e.g. microphone and push messaging) are unavailable, making this testing impossible.

It is just infuriating to have these files available but not be able to use them - hence I ask, why are the available if they cannot be used (because they are not signed and therefore cannot be restored/installed onto an iPad via iTunes)?

Does anyone please know how I can use these files? Thanks!

<Link Edited by Host>

May 20, 2015 8:27 AM in response to ckuan

Thanks ckuan,

I understand that the iOS8.3 is the current latest version for this device (iPad Air - iPad4,2 A1475 (EMC 2647*) Oct 2013*). Apparently this iPad came with iOS7 preinstalled.

What I don't understand is why it is possible to download the ipsw for e.g. iOS8.0.2 when it can't be used? What's the point?

Do you/does anyone please know why does Apple make the ipsw for e.g. iOS8.0.2 available if they will only allow the restore to iOS8.3? The files are big and I do not understand why they are available if they can't be used. Is there something I am missing? Is there a way that these files can be used? I am looking to try and make some of our devices use older versions of iOS (for whatever reason they were upgraded or restored before I arrived) so that I can test on the device, not the simulator.

Thanks again!

May 20, 2015 8:42 AM in response to impt__

Where exactly are you seeing these files be made available by Apple?

At best, the may make them available for Development purposes on the emulator if only to help developers make sure their apps continue to work on old versions of iOS in case people have not updated their devices to the newest versions yet.

But I don't really see anywhere Apple makes this ripsaw files directly available to the general public.

May 28, 2015 3:20 AM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

As you've already been told, you can't.

Well that shut me up!

KiltedTim wrote:

Those files are not intended for public consumption.

Thanks- know why they might be available then please? Are they intended for legitimate developer private consumption? Please see my thread here on the developer forums: https://devforums.apple.com/message/1139253

May 28, 2015 3:38 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks, I'm not confused about a response, simply pasting a link to avoid repeating myself.

KiltedTim wrote:

You've already been told that as well. Try READING the responses you've already gotten. If you're confused about a response you got in the developers forums, then go ask there instead of here in the public forums.

The closest I can see here is speculation as to why they might be available (and lots of speculation on the 'fact' that they are not available), suggestions to go ask elsewhere or answers which didn't grasp the question when I hadn't provided enough information. So I was wondering if anyone with actual experience or fact based knowledge could answer.

Unless this answer of yours: "Use the emulator to test your app with older versions of iOS." Is supposed to read "In order to be able to use the emulator...".

Only iOS7 is supported in the latest version of xCode, not iOS6. Thanks though!

Why do Apple Release old .ipsw files if it is not possible to restore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.