Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to apply keywords

Meticulous in applying keywords - after (i.e. not during) import…

What is the consensus on the most productive way to apply keywords to a folder of, say, 50 images, please?

Although I group my images (mostly landscape and architecture) by location, they'll all need slightly different (sub)sets of keywords… some will need 'window' and not 'door'; others will need both. Some will need 'wood' and not 'stone'; others will need both etc. And there's no necessary correlation between those needing one type of material ('wood' vs 'stone') with those displaying a certain characteristic ('window' vs 'door') etc.

This applies to maybe a couple of dozen such subsets.

In the past I've always knuckled down and spent hours just dragging multiple (Cmnd-selected) keywords from the HUD to each image - one at a time.

But isn't there a better way, please?

TIA!

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Clean machine... no haxies; no Microsoft etc

Posted on May 20, 2015 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2015 10:15 AM

Sounds like using the keyword button sets would be easier than dragging from the HUD. Have you tried that approach? It allows you to add (or delete) keywords to one or more selected images by simply clicking a button. You can also define multiple button sets containing associated keywords.

6 replies

May 20, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Mark Sealey

phosgraphis

Thanks for your comment about keyboard button sets. No, I have only looked at that method cursorily.

But now I shall go back and look again - thanks: I think it might help :-)

Is it just the convenience of a larger area of the screen (a button) and clicking vs the HUD's smaller drag-and-drop that recommends the Button Sets?

It's minute variations from one image to another that's so time consuming.

Your help appreciated…

May 20, 2015 11:36 AM in response to Mark Sealey

Is it just the convenience of a larger area of the screen (a button) and clicking vs the HUD's smaller drag-and-drop that recommends the Button Sets?

Partly. If you have to scroll through the HUD to multi-select keywords, that's could be a pain. But if you are truly doing this one-at-a-time that sounds pretty inefficient.

Based on your examples and using the buttons:

- Select all the images that need 'wood' and click the 'wood' button.

- Select all the images that need 'stone' and click the 'stone' button.

- Select all the 'door' images and click 'door'.

- etc.

So instead of selecting all the keywords for each specific image you would be selecting all the images for a specific keyword. Just seems more efficient to me based on your description and probably worth looking into. Keywording images one-at-a-time just seems so slow. But even if you must keyword them one at a time, simply clicking all the buttons for an image has got to be faster than multi-selecting them in the HUD and dragging the set to the image.

May 20, 2015 12:17 PM in response to phosgraphis

phosgraphis,

Thanks so very much - again - for this extremely helpful reply!

My conundrum is always whether to:

1. select all the images that require any one keyword, and apply keyword-by-keyword; or
  2. select all the keywords that need adding to any one image, and apply image-by-image.

It looks as though an experiment with the method you kindly suggest may prove once and for all which is the more efficient way to match speed with accuracy… I suspect 1 - although only by going carefully through all the images in order regardless of predictions about necessary keywords can you really be sure that the superset of all potentially-needed keywords is complete.

IOW looking at all images is really the only way to know that I have all new, necessary keywords 'ready' for them :-)

Your help appreciated!

May 20, 2015 7:30 PM in response to Mark Sealey

1. Keywording in Aperture is clunky at best. But it is do-able, and can be done without road-blocks, though not frictionlessly.

2. _Everyone_ has different uses and expectations from keywording. You must refine a system that meets _your needs_.

3. Search this forum. There have some excellent posts about applying keywords.

4. Here is a semi-comprehensive ( 😉 ) list of ways to apply keywords. Consider each of them as you develop your system.

- - Use a keyboard shortcut to put the focus in the Add Keyword box, and use that field's auto-complete.

- - Drag from the Keyword HUD

- - Type in the Keyword field in the Info Inspector (_no_ auto-complete)

- - Lift and Stamp from one Image to another

- - Use Buttons in the Button Sets that show on the Control Bar

And here's what I do:

- I determined what I would use keywords for (what groupings I would need to retrieve). I created those keywords.

- I have Button Sets for each group of commonly applied keywords. I keep these groups under 20 keywords each (that is as many as can be shown at a time).

- I use the keyboard shortcuts {comma} and {period} to cycle though my Button Sets.

- I separate all keywords into groups, and nest them in the Keywords HUD. I _never_ apply a "group parent" keyword to an Image.

- I keyword by Project. When the Images in a Project are keyworded, I mark the Project "Keyed" (in the Project Description field).

- I limit my Projects to one "shoot". In practice, this means that there are rarely more than 50 Images in a project (and never more than 150), and usually all the Images in a Project will share one or more keywords. There are easily applied.

- I apply keywords that are shared by many Image within a Project first, starting with the most-used. Of course, this is not "rigorous", but as a working strategy it reduces my time keywording.

- I apply keywords for commonly photographed individuals separately, using a Button Set.

- I keep the Images sorted by time. After applying the initial "broad" keywords (e.g.: genre, time of day, location, color {important for my work}), I go from Image to Image, in order, and apply _any_ keyword to all the subsequent Images that should have it in the Project. So when I get to "Dolphin", I ⌘-click[-and-drag] all the Images in the Project that I want to keyword with "Dolphin", and I apply it at once. Then I am done with "Dolphin" and do not have to apply again in this Project. (This is what Phosgraphis recommends. IME, it is _much_ faster to select all appropriate Images and apply one keyword than it is to select all appropriate keywords and apply them to one Image.)

- I use only capitalized keywords, and only type then with non-caps. This way I can tell in an instant when I have mistakenly applied a keyword that is not already in my fully-developed keyword list.

- I developed my own keyword list. Keywords are for _you_ to help _you_ find _your_ Images. I don't think like you. You don't think like me. (And I am not in and will never be in the stock photo business.)

- Fwiw, I do not drag from the Keyword HUD. I can type faster than than I can find, click, drag, drop. (I use the Keyword HUD to manage my keywords, but otherwise don't show it.)

HTH,

Kirby, still using Aperture.

May 20, 2015 7:52 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby,

Thanks so much!

That's extremely helpful; I much appreciate it :-)

What you and phosgraphis have kindly done is confirm that there aren't really any shortcuts.

But that it's certainly possible - with a little rigour and concentration - to make things much easier.

This is exactly the kind of advice and suggestions I was looking for when I posted here.

Thanks so much once again for taking the time and trouble to point me in a more profitable direction than the one I usually take!

Best way to apply keywords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.