Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way I can hook up a LCD projector and use a wireless remote on the new Mac Pro?

Is there a way I can hook up a LCD projector and use a wireless remote on the new Mac Pro?

Posted on May 20, 2015 6:53 AM

3 replies

May 20, 2015 9:01 AM in response to maurafromelkton

sure-I know about the LCD projector, anways. Figure out what kind of video input connectors it has (DVI/VGA/DisplayPort/HDMI, then get the correct adapter cable for it. Please note that the HDMI socket on the new Mac pro is video only, and doesn 't do audio. Plug that cable into the back of the Mac Pro and to the projector. Go to the Apple symbol at the top left of your screen, then go to system preferences, then Displays. I think you have to turn on mirroring.

As for the wireless remote. I know there's one for the Apple TV and probably one for the iPad, but for the Mac Pro itself? Hmmmm....that's tricky..there probably is one, but I don;'t know for sure 100%. Try HippoRemotePro on the itunes store . I think you'll need an iPhone or iPod touch. How well does it work? How do you set it up and use it? I don't know--the crystal ball has gone dark.

Good luck to you, maurafromelkton

John B

May 20, 2015 9:56 AM in response to maurafromelkton

The Mac Pro - both 'new' and 'classic' do not come with built-in Infra-Red receivers.

Your options are to either usb a wireless remote control which would connect to the Mac Pro via USB and include a matching remote, or to add an external IR receiver to the Mac Pro which would then work with the original Apple IR Remote Control as still used with the Apple TV.

See http://twistedmelon.com/mira/hardware.html this company not only sell a suitable IR Receiver and software to support it, but their software also allows you to use a variety of other USB IR Receivers.

When I am doing presentations I normally use a laptop connected to a projector, and a Logitech wireless presentation remote. This uses radio waves - not WiFi or Bluetooth.

If applicable, you can use an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch with Apple's Remote app to control Keynote for presentations. This would use WiFi.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.