Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite | FaceTime | Disable Video/Camera.

I use my computer to answer my phone and place normal cellular calls via Facetime rather than dialing etc from the hand piece. However I never actually use FaceTime itself and I don't particularly like having to stare at myself up on the screen every time i access the FaceTime interface.

Is there not a way that I can disable the camera and just use the application in audio mode?

Appreciate your advice.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on May 20, 2015 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 11:58 AM

Seychellian wrote: ... Is there ... a way that I can ... use the application in audio mode?...

Yes, if your FaceTime has been activated and is working.

With the FaceTime window active, clicking the Audio button will show the list

of your contacts that include FT audio connection info. Here is how it looks:

User uploaded file

I have blurred my contact info and camera image in the image above.

Your image may look different, but the steps are the same.

If you have difficulty connecting, see FaceTime for Mac: Troubleshooting FaceTime.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.3

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2015 11:58 AM in response to Seychellian

Seychellian wrote: ... Is there ... a way that I can ... use the application in audio mode?...

Yes, if your FaceTime has been activated and is working.

With the FaceTime window active, clicking the Audio button will show the list

of your contacts that include FT audio connection info. Here is how it looks:

User uploaded file

I have blurred my contact info and camera image in the image above.

Your image may look different, but the steps are the same.

If you have difficulty connecting, see FaceTime for Mac: Troubleshooting FaceTime.

Mac OSX 10.10.3

May 22, 2015 9:49 AM in response to Seychellian

Seychellian wrote:..I am trying to disable the camera and use FaceTime to answer my cellular calls purely as an audio device...

FaceTime software does not offer the function you want. You could block the camera by temporarily covering it with a "Post-it" or even by hanging a small folded piece of tissue paper over it.

If one of those is not a suitable workaround, perhaps a third-party app like HandsFree can do what you want.

For future considerations, you can offer suggestions for changes to the FaceTime app directly to Apple by using the Mac OS X Feedback form. You will not likely get a direct response, but you can be certain that the responsible Apple people will see your input for consideration in future FaceTime development.

Mac OSX 10.10.3

Feb 3, 2016 9:46 AM in response to Fast Farmer

Fast Farmer wrote:...Fix it apple...

Remember, you are NOT directly addressing Apple here. For more info about Apple discussions, start here: http://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/etiquette.html

You can offer suggestions concerning the FaceTime app directly to Apple by using the Mac OS X Feedback form. You will not likely get a direct response, but you can be certain that the responsible Apple people will see your input for consideration in future FaceTime development.

Fast Farmer wrote:... audio users can't turn the camera off for Facetime.

There's no need to turn the Mac camera off to use Mac FaceTime audio calling. Simply initiate your FaceTime audio calls to other FaceTime users using Mac's "Messages" app.

(If your comment regards my "feature not offered" response to Seychellian's post above, understand that Seychellian was asking about using FaceTime to answer cellular phone calling, which is not supported.)

To make an audio FaceTime call using your Mac, launch the "Messages" application, log in, and open the "Messages" window. You can then access FaceTime audio calling as shown in the image below:

User uploaded file

Mac OSX 10.10.3

Feb 3, 2016 7:05 PM in response to EZ Jim

As per the original message by Seychellian, you have not understood the issue. No one is asking how or if you can make voice/audio calls with FaceTime!

The issue is how do you turn the camera off?? It's more than pathetic that you can't (unless you disable camera for everything). As the original post said, it's more than very annoying talking on FaceTime audio with the camera on and watching yourself.

Feb 4, 2016 9:48 AM in response to Fast Farmer

Fast Farmer wrote:... No one is asking how or if you can make voice/audio calls with FaceTime!

The issue is how do you turn the camera off?...

Thanks for explaining that your post was really about how to disable the inbuilt camera rather than how to use FaceTime without the inbuilt camera.

Fast Farmer wrote:... It's more than pathetic that you can't (unless you disable camera for everything)... it's more than very annoying talking on FaceTime audio with the camera on and watching yourself.

Thanks for explaining how pathetic and annoying it is for you.

However, as I explained in my previous response to you, you can choose whether to use Mac's camera in FaceTime without disabling it. If you choose Mac FaceTime Audio instead of Mac FaceTime Video, you need not be "watching yourself".

If you never use the Mac "Messages" application's other features, you will find it simpler to launch your FaceTime calls directly from your buddies' cards in your "Contacts" as shown in this annotated image:

User uploaded file

Mac OSX 10.11.3

Feb 5, 2016 8:54 AM in response to Fast Farmer

Hello again, Fast Farmer.

Fast Farmer wrote:....That's simply not correct ...

Look again. It is correct if youmake your voice call directly from Contacts without launching FaceTime.

I do not see a camera image of myself unless FaceTime is open and visible on the desktop. With the main FaceTime window not visible on the desktop, when I click the telephone icon as shown in the image I posted above to initiate a voice call, I see only a voice window similar to this one:

User uploaded file

If you must launch FaceTime without seeing yourself during audio calls, click the yellow button in the upper left corner of the FaceTime window to send the FaceTime window to the Dock (minimize) it so the camera view is not visible. (Alternatively, you can minimize the FaceTimewindow with OS X's ⌘M keyboard shortcut.)

If you think your Mac works differently, you might want to contact your local Apple retailer, consultant, or training center to see if they can show you a way to do what you want.

Fast Farmer wrote:...Cell phone calling and answering via FaceTime is fully supported by OSX.

You seem to be confusing FaceTime with Mac and iOS Continuity.

Mac OSX 10.11.3

Feb 11, 2016 9:22 AM in response to EZ Jim

Thanks EZ Jim.

Calling from Contacts works for me. Calling from Messages also works as you said, but the person has to be in your buddy list first, which means you might have to send them a message before the Details link becomes available.

Nevertheless it is odd that there isn't a "disable camera" button in FaceTime. For times when your significant other walks into the room inappropriately dressed, for example.... Oh, no that's a different issue.

Feb 13, 2016 9:16 AM in response to michail_d

You're welcome.

michail_d wrote:... there isn't a "disable camera" button in FaceTime. For times when your significant other walks into the room inappropriately dressed, for example....

There is no need to disable the camera.

FaceTime allows you to temporarily pause video transmission whenever you like and for any reason. FT simply does not call it "disable camera".

Mac OSX 10.11.3

Yosemite | FaceTime | Disable Video/Camera.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.