Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change primary email address for iCloud

I need to change my Primary email address for icloud but I am unable to find hout nhow to do it on my icloud account on my mac, ipad or iphone, please could someone advise me on how to do it?

MacBook Air, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on May 20, 2015 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2015 8:52 PM

Having this issue the other night. I decided to follow the advice above. Although it did not work, but, there is good news.

Having 1 Apple device with incorrect email for icloud, I was not able to change the email, until I did the following.

If you are trying to change the iCloud email address, not only follow the advice from above, but also do the following.

1. Locate all devices (Apple) that use the iCloud and use the "log off" feature found in system settings. For ALL devices, iPad, iPhone, iWatch, MAC, Macbook pro etc...

2. Then, you will be able to change the email address on the device you attempted earlier.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2015 8:52 PM in response to wizzer1966

Having this issue the other night. I decided to follow the advice above. Although it did not work, but, there is good news.

Having 1 Apple device with incorrect email for icloud, I was not able to change the email, until I did the following.

If you are trying to change the iCloud email address, not only follow the advice from above, but also do the following.

1. Locate all devices (Apple) that use the iCloud and use the "log off" feature found in system settings. For ALL devices, iPad, iPhone, iWatch, MAC, Macbook pro etc...

2. Then, you will be able to change the email address on the device you attempted earlier.

May 20, 2015 2:11 PM in response to wizzer1966

The 'primary' address is the (usually non-Apple) address which you use to log into iCloud. You can change this if it is a non-Apple address (if it's an @icloud.com, @me.com or @mac.com address you can't) to another non-Apple address (but not to an Apple address). Please follow this proecdure carefully to avoid problems:

Firstly, if you have 'Find My iPhone/iPad/iMac' enabled on any of your devices, turn it off.

Create a new email address, for example at Yahoo or Gmail, or anywhere convenient (or you can use an existing address as long as it has never been associated with an Apple ID).

Go to http://appleid.apple.com and click 'Manage your Apple ID'. Sign in with the current ID.

Where it says 'Apple ID and primary email address' and gives your current ID email address, click 'edit'.

Enter your new address and click 'Save changes'.

Now you will need to go to each of your devices and sign out in System Preferences (or Settings)>iCloud - 'Sign out' on a Mac, 'Delete this account' on an iOS device (this will not delete the account from the server).

Then sign back in with your new ID. Your iCloud data will disappear from your devices when you sign out, but reappear when you sign back in.

I re-iterate: before you start, turn off 'Find My Mac' (or whatever) or you will need the services of Support.

May 26, 2015 7:12 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi Roger, many thanks for the info in this I'll give it a try. Can I carry out this sequence individually on each of my devices or do I need to do it on all at the same time, I have a iphone. macbook and ipad? I don't mean to be cheeky but would you also be able to answer a question I have with regards to my ipod, I posted to the community a few weeks ago but never had a proper reply? Ian

May 26, 2015 8:00 AM in response to wizzer1966

Go round your devices, one at a time, and turn off 'Find My...' if it's on. Then change the ID. Then on each they won't work properly until you sign our and sign back in again.

As to your iPod question, I see that you couldn't see all of Brett l's response. Quoting from it:

If iTunes on your computer is not showing the "Music" area in order to let you sync music to your iPod shuffle, I would suggest the steps in the troubleshooting section of the iPod's manual found here -

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1550/en_US/iPod_shuffle_4thgen_Use r_Guide.pdf

Specifically from chapter 6 -

The 5 Rs: Reset, Retry, Restart, Reinstall, Restore

Remember these five basic suggestions if you have a problem with iPod shuffle. Try these steps one at a time until the problem is resolved. If one of the following doesn’t help, read on for solutions to specific problems.

• Reset iPod shuffle by turning it off, waiting 10 seconds, and then turning it back on again.
  • Retry with a different USB 2.0 port if you cannot see iPod shuffle in iTunes.
  • Restart your computer, and make sure you have the latest software updates installed.
  • Reinstall iTunes software from the latest version on the web.
  • Restore iPod shuffle. See Updating and restoring iPod shuffle software on page 26.

Change primary email address for iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.