Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network File Transfer Problems

Since Apple wrote their own SMB software I have found it difficult to transfer files on my network, however I found a 3rd party solution SMBUp.which worked fine on Mavericks. Since upgrading to Yosomite it is now impoosible to transfer a file. I constantly get a message which says "Cannot transfer this item ""-"" as it is in use ". I have tried several work arounds to no real success. I can transfer two files then it will not transfer anymore with out a shut down and reboot so on and so on.

Any Suggestions

Peter

Posted on May 20, 2015 8:06 AM

2 replies

May 20, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Mezfing

Peter,

When you use a third party utilities to do what OS X does well, then you need to contact the developer of that product to see if they support the version of OS X (in your case right now Yosemite 10.10.x) prior to upgrading the OS and see if the developer supports that version of OS X.

File sharing is a fundamental of OS X and works extremely well. I would recommend that you spend a little time learning how to implement it rather than using third party apps to do what OS X already does.

May 20, 2015 9:05 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I have spent daye trying to use Apple OS X networking including speaking to Apple support, but unfortuantly it does not work very well when transfering files to windows based systems. Because of this well know problem SMBUp was created. It has nothing to do with the actual transfer it just enables you to see the shared mac folders from a windows device and has worked well with SL, ML & Mavericks. I have uninstalled SMBUp, whilst I can see the target folder on the windows device I still have the same problem transfering files. Without SMBUp I cannot see the shared Mac folders from the window device.

Thanks

Peter

Network File Transfer Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.