Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to show info on all photos

There used to be a way to show info on all photos, number etc. How is that done in new Photo?

thanks,

don

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10), two - 2TB external hard drives

Posted on May 20, 2015 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2015 11:04 AM

That is not a feature - suggest to Apple - https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

LN

22 replies

May 20, 2015 1:12 PM in response to Zimmer1956

In iPhoto the only info to be shown under each thumbnail was the title. iPhoto would put the file name as the title during import if there wasn't an IPTC title already written into the file.

In Photo we have to activate the Title field under the thumbnails via this menu:

User uploaded file

Once Titles are selected the user can manually add a title to each thumbnail. Or, as in iPhoto, put the file name in the Title by using this Applescript/Automator workflow, , which is located in the Photos for Mac User Tips with other batch renaming workflows.

Be sure to tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored and/or added in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

May 20, 2015 8:16 PM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron wrote:

In Photo we have to activate the Title field under the thumbnails via this menu:

Will this technique allow Keywords to be shown under thumbnails ?

Sadly, no. Checking "Keywords" in that list only causes a "tag" icon to appear in the corner of the thumbnail if the picture has any keywords, just as the "Location" option shows a "map tack" icon on pictures with GPS data.

May 21, 2015 3:07 AM in response to Old Toad

So are you saying that we have to put each title in again - I don't get it! That is an awful lot of time and I don't have a lot (literally). I've ticked all the boxes and moved mainly holidays that were events and then albums, folders in Iphoto over - and disappointed that names of files aren't there.

It keeps wanting to reference back to original file. I understood Photos was a holder and didn't save or keep my photos, so have on desktop copies of all our photos which are in folders ready to move to Photos. But don't know how to. Keep receiving conflicting advise. I must say here "I do have a disability which affects my cognitivness at times, and vision probs and this is a bucket wish list thing to do for family." So I may be reading the advise wrong. It needs to be very clear. Reading Photo's help confuses me immensely. I have no one to help me.

The Photos I moved from IPhotos over still are asking for reference folder. Then I read that I'm best to not have reference folder of old photos keep them all in Photos and then delete what I have on desktop as back up will back up only Photos. I am so confused.

Seems simple what I want to do. Move folders of photos to a place that will save them, and I can edit them, keep their megadate already there, the file name etc. But I don't know how to do it.....The fact that the albums in Photos from Holidays (moved from IPhotos) is still wanting to reference - does this mean I have to go back to Iphotos and reimport another way.

I don't know which way to turn, or who to turn too?

thanks Belinda

May 21, 2015 8:08 AM in response to belindafromsaint helena

So are you saying that we have to put each title in again -

If they are custom titles and not the file name, yes.

You can still use iPhoto with 10.10.3 if you have version 9.6.1. The app will still be in the Applications folder. If it's any version of 9.x you try the instructions posted by Terence Devlin in this post to obtain 9.6.1 from the App Store:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

May 21, 2015 8:41 AM in response to markwmsn

Sadly, no. Checking "Keywords" in that list only causes a "tag" icon to appear in the corner of the thumbnail if the picture has any keywords, just as the "Location" option shows a "map tack" icon on pictures with GPS data.

Sad to hear this. iPhoto had the ability to show keywords under thumbnails. They removed that in more recent versions, so I switched to Aperture.

In my testing with alternative photo software ( Lyn, Capture One ), Photos appears to be the only current photo software that cannot show keywords under the thumbnails.

May 21, 2015 11:05 AM in response to R C-R

Thank you. I can see that. I have a folder that used to be Events in iPhoto that I renamed Locations. As a wildlife photographer I want all the photos I've taken at Yellowstone or Jasper or Saguaro National Park etc. to be in their own album in the folder I named Locations. It is certainly more efficient to have those albums (locations) listed alphabetically. And they are. Good. Now, if only we can get Apple to allow us to sort the photos within those albums alphabetically by title then I would be much happier.

how to show info on all photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.