Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iPhone 6 having gorilla glass

I Want to know is there gorilla glass in iphone 6

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on May 20, 2015 8:50 AM

9 replies

May 20, 2015 9:03 AM in response to kushfromsidhpur

AFAIK, the i6 and i6+ screen is the latest-generation Gorilla Glass or its functional equivalent (GG is a trademark). In the buildup leading to its release there was a big hubbub that it would carry sapphire glass instead, but performance and production yields apparently caused that to be cancelled, which still seems to cause confusion.

The rear cover on the camera lens is sapphire glass, though.

May 20, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Courcoul

According to the Gorilla Glass Website this is not the case:

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/en/products-with-gorilla

Apple and iPhones are not listed in the devices that sport Gorilla Glass.

It may be a similar type of glass, but it does not appear to be specifically Corning's Patented Gorilla Glass, or at the very least it has not been verified by Corning to be Gorilla Glass.

Corning wrote:

The devices on these pages have been verified by the manufacturer and Corning as using Corning Gorilla Glass. The manufacturers and devices detailed on these webpages are the only manufacturers authorized to use the Corning Gorilla Glass trademark in their device promotions. Select device manufacturers have not been willing to provide Gorilla Glass model verification. In those cases, please ask the manufacturer directly or contact Corning here and we will do our best to help you.

Sep 10, 2016 8:34 AM in response to Soffsthelink

Soffsthelink wrote:

I don't get it. I mean, I think they are, yes, using gorila glass, because is what they used since the first iphone. I know that some persons are saying that it does not use, but I don't think this makes sense. It uses the gorila glass, just not godzilla glass or saphire (unfornately).

No. iPhones have never said they use Gorilla Glass. Gorilla Glass is a special patented type of Glass made by Corning. Its not a general type of hard glass, its a very specific glass made and patented by Corning and requires licensing from Croning to be used on devices.

The iPhones may have similar strength glass, but it is not and has never been Gorilla Glass specifically.

Sep 12, 2016 10:41 AM in response to Soffsthelink

While Steve may have requested it for the the first iPhone at the time, there is no info on whether it was actually used for the iPhone or some other type of glass was used, nor if it continued to actually be used on subsequent iPhones.

Since we cannot speculate on Apple's internal procedures, there is no way to say that it has ever used Corning's Gorila Glass with 100% certainty.

Sep 13, 2016 7:52 AM in response to Soffsthelink

I've read the site, Yes it possible Apple does use Gorilla Glass, but since neither one of them has actually provided a statement or spec to that effect its all just speculation. Nobody can actually provide any proof to that effect.

This site for instance:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/gorilla-glass-used-in-an-ipad1.htm

States just that. That while possible, there are also other glass manufacturers Apple could be using.

At the end of the day, until either one, Apple or Corning, decides to come out and say it, everybody is just speculating, and assuming things as there is no way to know for sure unless you work for either company. And if that is the case whoever works for them is probably under such a strict NDA, that they will never tell.

Is iPhone 6 having gorilla glass

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.