Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone tried to install a Windows 7 dual boot on a 2015 MacBook Pro?

I know Apple doesn't support Windows 7 dual boot on the new Macs. Don't tell me "It's not supported." I know it isn't supported.

What I'm curious about is whether people have been successful trying to work around that. My suspicion, based on what I've tried, is that it is blocked on a firmware level and not just lacking in "official" support.

I tried modifying the .plist arrays in Boot Camp Assistant.app, using an older Boot Camp Assistant.app, copying new drivers over to an old install-from-USB, and a bunch of other potential workarounds.

No matter what, Boot Camp Assistant on a new MacBook Pro insists it must be Windows 8 or higher, and it just won't boot from USB to a Windows 7 installer.

So my question: has anyone tried anything else, and has anyone had any luck?

My suspicion is no (i.e., it is blocked on a firmware level), but I'd like to just throw it out there to see if anyone can confirm that. The Apple support page listing compatibility (or lack thereof) isn't big on details as to why or how it isn't compatible.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 20, 2015 8:29 AM

12 replies

May 20, 2015 8:45 AM in response to aatsi

Do not use Bootcamp Assistant. The Macs after Late 2013 models support UEFI and hence can be used to install Windows using a Windows installer without using BCA. BCA is a partitioning/MBR manager. It also helps download BC Drivers.

Insert Windows installer media (USB or DVD) and use Windows Installer to directly boot from and choose EFI boot (not Windows legacy BIOS mode). You may run into issues with W7 drivers. W7 EFI support is lacking, but W8 (and W8.1) support EFI much better. You can create a FAT partition using Disk Utility and test with the W7 EFI boot.

The other option is to use W7 BC installation from an older Mac and use cloning software to move such an installation to the newer 2015 Mac.

May 26, 2015 9:12 AM in response to Loner T

I'm in a very similar situation (trying to get W7 installed on 2015 13" MBA) and have tried to install Windows via USB and optical drive. I am unable to boot from either (but I can boot to an OSX installer-USB just fine). The computer will just sit at a black screen after selecting the optical drive / Windows USB installer, the proceeds to boot to OSX. I feel like I've tried everything with no success.

I'd be very interested to see if anybody can come up with a workaround.

Note: Also have tried rEFIt with the same results.

Jun 18, 2015 4:27 AM in response to MBeijer

Trying to install an 6+ year old OS on current hardware is fraught with issues and driver challenges.

1. Use a Virtualization engine (VMware Fusion, Parallels, VirtualBox) but this has it's limits in terms of gaming etc. Day-to-day Microsoft Office and some light use is relatively reliable.

2. Use cloning from older Macs to 2015 Macs. Requires access to more than one Mac (at least temporarily).

3. Use native EFI Boot installation since the 2015 Macs are UEFI-compliant. This has driver challenges written all over it.

4. Find a used 2013/2014 Mac which allows W7 installation.

Jun 18, 2015 5:18 AM in response to Loner T

1. Virtualization is out of the question in my case as I need direct hardware access for certain applications, I would have done that already if it would have sufficed.
  2. I don't have a spare (older) Mac.
  3. I will have to try this. Win 8 isn't too different from Win 7, so drivers could be compatible. But as others posted earlier it seems they didn't even get the option to boot, so I was just curious if they had any update on their status!
  4. I've already bought the latest Macbook Pro, I'm not going to buy a second one just for Windows.

Oct 18, 2015 3:07 PM in response to aatsi

Are you using a x64 copy of Windows? I would recommend Win7 Ultimate x64.

"3. Insert Windows 7 SP1 X64 DVD. Note: One of the common issues we see is that users try to install X86 version with UEFI enabled in the bios. X86 does not support UEFI so you would have to configure the machine for Legacy boot to install X86 versions of Windows. If you do try to install X86 version setup will run but on the 1st reboot you will get BIOS error similar to “No bootable devices –Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility. Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics” "

-- http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2011/05/31/installing-windows-7-on-ue fi-based-computer.aspx

Anyone tried to install a Windows 7 dual boot on a 2015 MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.