Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it possible to use only os9 without OS X on a powerbook

PowerBook

Posted on May 20, 2015 10:37 AM

4 replies

May 20, 2015 1:15 PM in response to Guy Morrissette

on everyman.com, they say that some yes some not.

i installed os9.1 and os 9.2.1 but when starting the computer i only see the background's office. the disk doesn't show. i'm installing from an other computer in target disk.

my real problem is that the powerbook has no more screen. it was working very well with an external screen but when starting with the original installation disk that came with the computer, the external screen doesn't work.

May 24, 2015 5:11 PM in response to Guy Morrissette

Black Powerbooks G3s all support booting into Mac OS 9 without Mac OS X.

Silvery Powerbooks only support Mac OS 9 only booting when they have rear USB ports.

Silvery Powerbooks support Mac OS 9 in Classic (requiring Mac OS X to be present in 10.4.11 or earlier) when the ports are on the left or right side of the keyboard frame of the computer.

Another caveat, some late model Powerbooks that support Mac OS 9 booting require the original Mac OS 9 discs to install Mac OS 9. Those that use Classic must use their original discs to install 9 to use Classic. Any Mac that came with Mac OS 9.2.1 or later requires their own installer for Mac OS 9. That's harder to find than the retail Mac OS 9 with the orange 9 logo on the white background disc.

Mac OS 9 came in the following retail editions:

After which point if the Mac came with a pre bundled version of that version of Mac OS 9, it could only use the retail release that is later in the sequence.

The oldest Powerbook G3 also could not use Mac OS 9.2 or Mac OS X.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.