Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Works with Streaming Video from Internet but NOT Direct from iPhone.

Here's a strange problem: I have a 2nd Gen. ATV that I access from my iPhone via AirPlay. Both the ATV and iPhone are on the same wifi network. Typically, I'm sending video streaming from a website Via AirPlay, and have never had any problems. I added some videos from iTunes to my iPhone, and tried to send them via AirPlay Via Apple's Video app. For some reason the videos playing from the iPhone 5S take a long time to "load", and then will only play for a few minutes at a time, before pausing and "loading". It's impossible to watch a video this way to state the obvious.

I Tried a side by side test, streaming video from the Internet, and sending video from the phone. The Internet streaming loaded quickly and played uninterrupted. The video played from Apple's Video app took forever to load and paused every few minutes ... Consistently and repeatedly.

SO what's going on here? When I'm streaming video from the Internet, my iPhone has to download the content into itself via the wifi network, then it sends it back to the router which then sends it to the ATV, so that seems like there would much more congestion than simply sending it from the phone to the router and to the TV. So video stored on the iPhone played via the Videos app should theoretically outperform video content I'm streaming from the Internet, right?

Anybody have any ideas what's causing this problem?

Posted on May 20, 2015 8:31 AM

6 replies

May 21, 2015 12:34 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I see. I'm not sure how I can check that.

When I stream the 720p video from the internet on my iPhone and then send it via AirPlay, I have the "mirror" option turned off. So you think it might be sending a mirror of the iPhone video anyway? It seems like this would be even higher quality than than the 720p video given the resolution of the iPhone. Either way it has to be converted down to the the ATV's max 720p capabilities.

So when I play the 720p video off of the Video app on the iPhone, again, you think it might be mirroring the display rather than sending the file despite not having "mirroring" turned on in AirPlay settings?

So which one would take more bandwidth, sending the mirror of the display, or the file directly?

And either way, it still seems like adding the downloading from the internet component to the upload of the AIrPlay would slow it down even more regardless if it's sending a mirror of the display or the same size file directly, yet it doesn't. However, I will experiment with lower quality files and see if that makes a difference.

Works with Streaming Video from Internet but NOT Direct from iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.