Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I back up to my TC, when away from home?

I work away from home and return at the weekend, I need to back up files when I am away, but cannot access the TC from my WiFi when away, can I back up remotely?

imac, Mac OS X (10.5.1), Mac Book Pro

Posted on May 20, 2015 9:32 AM

4 replies

May 20, 2015 1:35 PM in response to dawsojf

It is extremely unwise to backup remotely to a TC.

Apple used to say specifically not to do it.. that piece of advice was removed although nothing IMHO has changed in the situation.. you are highly likely to break to the backup, unless you have 100% dropout proof internet and very high speeds.

When you are away from home it is far better to use a utility and backup just the files you need to the cloud.

May 20, 2015 7:52 PM in response to LaPastenague

You are correct. I was not clear and did not mean to imply that "local snapshots" was a substitute for backing up to a regular drive or to the Cloud.

I used to travel with a small, rugged Lacie portable USB drive that I used for Time Machine backups as well as keeping a CCC "clone" of the Mac. The clone saved my rear end at least 3 or 4 times that I can recall.

how do I back up to my TC, when away from home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.