Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help formatting a mailing list

I have imported a list of addresses into Numbers and it put each address into a single cell in each row. So the first cell on row 1 is "123 Main St, Atlanta, GA" and the next row is the next address. I want the street address to be in the first column, the city in the next, the state in the next, and the zip in the last column. I used to do this in Excel a million years ago but I have no clue how to do it with Numbers.

Is there some sort of Text to Table feature that I'm missing? Or if I use Find & Replace, what do I put in the Replace field?

Thanks so much for any assistance!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on May 20, 2015 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2015 11:32 AM

I suggest editing the list in a text editor (like the app "Text Edit").

How are the fields separated in the original source??

Assuming it is something like this:

123 Some Street, A City, A State, Zip1

456 Another Street, Another City, Another State, Zip2

The item that separates (or delimits) the fields is the comma

Said another way... the comma is the delimiter

Put the data in text edit, then search for the comma and replace with a tab (to enter a tab I usually type the tab character over one of the commas I want to replace, then I select the white space for the tab, copy, then paste into the replace field of the "Search and Replace dialog box)

Once you have completed the search and replace, select all. copy

Now return to Numbers click the top left cell, paste

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2015 11:32 AM in response to karincarr

I suggest editing the list in a text editor (like the app "Text Edit").

How are the fields separated in the original source??

Assuming it is something like this:

123 Some Street, A City, A State, Zip1

456 Another Street, Another City, Another State, Zip2

The item that separates (or delimits) the fields is the comma

Said another way... the comma is the delimiter

Put the data in text edit, then search for the comma and replace with a tab (to enter a tab I usually type the tab character over one of the commas I want to replace, then I select the white space for the tab, copy, then paste into the replace field of the "Search and Replace dialog box)

Once you have completed the search and replace, select all. copy

Now return to Numbers click the top left cell, paste

May 20, 2015 12:07 PM in response to karincarr

karincarr wrote:

I want the street address to be in the first column, the city in the next, the state in the next, and the zip in the last column. I used to do this in Excel a million years ago but I have no clue how to do it with Numbers.

Is there some sort of Text to Table feature that I'm missing?

Numbers doesn't have an equivalent to Excel's excellent Text to Columns wizard. You can "split" the address in a text editor, as Wayne suggests, or use this AppleScript (Dropbox download that when double-clicked opens Script Editor). This mimics Excel's wizard. Simply select the addresses you want to split, click the 'Run' button in Script Editor, click once in the top-left destination cell, and command-v to paste.

Here I selected cells A2:A3, clicked the 'Run' button, clicked cell B2 once, and then typed command-v.

User uploaded file

SG

Need help formatting a mailing list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.