Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to move the photos library

I have my Photos Library on an external disk. Now I want to move it to another external disk (SSD). 56 GB

I don't manage to do it, I get some failure report just at the end. I tried to zip an reopen, but no success. Is there an Idea to quit Photos and reinstall it?

In iPhoto there is an option to change libraries, but I do not see any possibilty for that in Photos.

Glad for any help!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Macbook air 13 inch november 2013

Posted on May 20, 2015 11:16 AM

10 replies

May 20, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Nils1406

Now I want to move it to another external disk (SSD). 56 GB

I don't manage to do it, I get some failure report just at the end. I tried to zip an reopen, but no success. Is there an Idea to quit Photos and reinstall it?

How are you moving the library to the external drive? It should suffice to drag and drop the library in the Finder from one drive to the other drive.

The external drive should be directly connected and formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled). Enable the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" option.

I get some failure report just at the end.

What error message exactly? Perhaps an "Error -36"? Post back with the exact error message.

In iPhoto there is an option to change libraries, but I do not see any possibilty for that in Photos.

In Photos you can switch to a different library by dragging that library onto the Photos icon or by holding down the alt/options key while launching Photos. That will bring up the library chooser panel.

To set the "Ignore Ownership" flag on your external drive select it in the Finder and press the key combination ⌘I to open the Info panel. Th flag in in the sharing and permissions section of the Info panel.

User uploaded file

May 20, 2015 1:22 PM in response to Nils1406

Error -36 is an i/O error. One or more files in your library cannot be copied.

There may be several reasons for that - bad media files, incompatible file names, permission errors, a drive that is failing.

Is your new SSD correctly formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled)? You did not answer that part of the question. If the file system is still FAT32 or another Windows file system, you get exactly this kind of errors (iPhoto: Issues with FAT32-formatted drives)

Launch Disk Utility (from the Applications > Utilities folder) and select your drive in the sidebar.

Check the file system format, and run "Verify Disk".

User uploaded file

May 20, 2015 11:14 PM in response to léonie

Thank you. I managed to delete the SSD and reformat to MacOSExtended,

Now I also managed to drag and drop the Photos Library to the new SSD. My next task will be to let Photos "understand" that Library has a new address...

I'll try to drag the Library down to the icon while I press alt/cmd.

If I'm wrong - please correct me!

how to move the photos library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.