Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AmazonBasics Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to VGA Adapter resolution is maxing out at 1280x1024

I'm using one of these adapters, located here: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Mini-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Adapter/dp/B00C2 8L138/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

When I plug it into my monitor via the VGA cable, the resolution standard is 800x600, and I can choose to scale it to 1280x1024. The color is washed out and of course it looks awful.

If I swap that AmazonBasics adapter out with an authentic Apple one, the resolution works just fine at the native monitor's 1680x1050 resolution, and the color is sharp and it just looks great.

I returned that AmazonBasics adapter, and got a brand new replacement one, but it still does the same thing!

Anyone have any idea why only the authentic Apple one works and not the AmazonBasics one?

I'm on the latest model MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) using the latest Yosemite 10.10.3

Help! Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 20, 2015 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 12:43 PM

helloooo Apple support, is this really still unanswered? Clearly there's something at a hardware level on the latest MacBooks that's disallowing a non-Apple-branded VGA adapter to work at native resolution.

Any thoughts???

5 replies

Jul 5, 2016 4:54 AM in response to sskassam

Dear all,

I have recently purchased a macbook air 11" (Early 2015) and I have exactly the same issue described here. HDMI OK, VGA NOT ok. The screen works but with bad resolution and same thing with my TV on VGA.

I also have a macbook air Early 2013 with Intel HD 5000 and it works perfect with the same monitor display.

Please, can you provide a solution? it is mandatory for me to work.

Regards,

Jul 6, 2016 9:08 AM in response to siulman

Hello everyone,

for your information, I found the cause. With the official Apple connector, it works perfectly.

My connector, which works on macbook air Early 2014 doesn't work on the Early 2016.

Curious detail: The same brand connector HDI - miniDisplayPort works great... :-S

Here is the connector that I used:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B007J75TVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF 8&psc=1

AmazonBasics Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to VGA Adapter resolution is maxing out at 1280x1024

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.