Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has Apple not fixed this annoying UI/UX numerical obfuscation?

Why does my Apple TV 2 show numbers after its name when seen on screen for choosing it?

Apple TV 2 (251)

That is what is shows as in the Airplay menu and other locations where you choose the Apple TV for audio via Airplay.

This has been happening for some time. I read somewhere about how to remove it (but it did not clearly explain what this is all about) so, my actual number would be more like (1000) but, at some point, I reset it.

No, unplugging/restarting does not remove it. No, I am not doing a hard reset and re-entering dozens of passwords again. Once then again and maybe again (when some apps forced us to) was enough of my life wasted. No, restarting/resetting/etc. my Airport or other Wi-Fi devices does not remove it.

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 20, 2015 1:16 PM

4 replies

May 21, 2015 7:12 AM in response to Ataraxy01

Joseph Coates wrote:

Why does my Apple TV 2 show numbers after its name when seen on screen for choosing it?

Apple TV 2 (251)

That is what is shows as in the Airplay menu and other locations where you choose the Apple TV for audio via Airplay.

This has been happening for some time. I read somewhere about how to remove it (but it did not clearly explain what this is all about) so, my actual number would be more like (1000) but, at some point, I reset it.

No, unplugging/restarting does not remove it. No, I am not doing a hard reset and re-entering dozens of passwords again. Once then again and maybe again (when some apps forced us to) was enough of my life wasted. No, restarting/resetting/etc. my Airport or other Wi-Fi devices does not remove it.

I had a similar problem after an upgrade. I just retyped the name, removing the number, and that fixed the problem for me.

Why has Apple not fixed this annoying UI/UX numerical obfuscation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.