Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backing up thunderbolt drive to time capsule

I have a 2TB Time Capsule which I use for my wi-fi network and for backing up my circa mid-2011 iMac. My iMac drive is pretty full and I am looking into purchasing a Thunderbolt drive to supplement storage since I expect to buy a new computer within a couple of years; and am a little concerned about tackling a swap of the iMac internal hard drive. My question is this; is it possible to use the Time Capsule to also regularly back up the Thunderbolt drive?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 20, 2015 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2015 1:44 PM

is it possible to use the Time Capsule to also regularly back up the Thunderbolt drive?

Yes, as long as the Thunderbolt drive is connected directly to your Mac. Time Machine will back up both the Mac and the attached drive.

When you first connect the drive to the Mac, Time Machine will exclude the Thunderbolt drive from backups, so you have to go into Time Machine Preferences / Options and remove it from the list of items that are excluded from backups. When you do this, Time Machine will back up both your Mac and the Thunderbolt drive on the next pass.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2015 1:44 PM in response to 1949Fred

is it possible to use the Time Capsule to also regularly back up the Thunderbolt drive?

Yes, as long as the Thunderbolt drive is connected directly to your Mac. Time Machine will back up both the Mac and the attached drive.

When you first connect the drive to the Mac, Time Machine will exclude the Thunderbolt drive from backups, so you have to go into Time Machine Preferences / Options and remove it from the list of items that are excluded from backups. When you do this, Time Machine will back up both your Mac and the Thunderbolt drive on the next pass.

backing up thunderbolt drive to time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.