Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem with RAM vendor?

i bought some RAM for my 1,1 mac pro and i am trying to figure out if i am having a problem with the vendor or if there is an easy fix for this.

the RAM arrived in two separate packages with one arriving on April 15th and the other on April 17th. shortly after getting the RAM my computer the fan ran non-stop and /very/ loud and after trying to troubleshoot on the forums and on macforum i eventually brought it into the mac store. they determined that 2 sticks of the RAM were bad (they were also reporting 2 GB each instead of 4 GB each). then when i got home i ran a diagnostic and it didn't show any RAM at all in these slots.

so on May 11th i contacted the vendor via email and they asked for an Amazon purchase number and then later got back to me and approved the "return" with return mailing information.

today they notified me that they are shipping me replacement RAM which i don't want and i was clear i did not want. when i asked them about this they said i was outside of the 30 day window per their Amazon Terms and that i was to be issued a replacement.

in their Terms they indicate that refunds may be subject to a 15% restocking fee and then under "Items Returned Defective" they also go on to say (which is definitely somewhat Kafkaesque) "All items are tested and in proper working condition upon shipment. No customer is shipped a defective item and therefore:

• If an item is returned, tested and found defective, the item will be replaced not refunded
  • If the buyer insists on a refund, the refund will be subject to a 15% deduction and shipping and insurance will also be deducted"

has anyone done business with these guys before? can i resolve this easily through amazon? i tried the phone number provided on their website two times today and it appears to go to a fax machine?

any suggestions? i figure at the very least i am taking one for the team here but are these guys legit? it is the total opposite of the service i am getting from the suppliers of the DVI conversion cable i bought...

thanks for any help with this

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on May 20, 2015 2:48 PM

11 replies

May 20, 2015 2:57 PM in response to Kappy

here is an email from a vendor you DO want to do business with:

Hello __________________,

I'm writing in connection wtih your recent order with us through _______________ for:

1 of Kanex Dual Link DVI to Apple LED Cinema 27-inch display - 2560x1440 resolution (C247DL)

We can confirm receipt of the above title, which was recently returned. As such we have immediately processed a full refund - which will reach your original credit/debit card account in 3-5 days.

I trust this is satisfactory. Given our prompt attention, we hope to still receive positive transaction feedback. If you have any issues with your order please contact us at [e-mail address removed], always quoting the Order-ID# XXXXX-XXXXXX and date ordered so that we can amicably resolve. We hope to be of service again soon.

With warmest regards,
Langton Info customer services team

Searching for another hard-to-find item? You could perform an Advanced Search. Please use this useful link for your future searches:

May 20, 2015 3:08 PM in response to hotwheels22

hotwheels 22 wrote:

perhaps someone has had a similar experience and was able to resolve it? at the very least i would think you would want to know who the vendor is so i don't lose $350 US doing business with a disreputable vendor....

It would seem the solution is to start over, but this time dealing directly with a reputable company that specializes in Macs and stands behind its products. If you look through these forums, you'll see many positive comments regarding OWC. I've done business with them since the last century and they've never let me down.

May 20, 2015 3:27 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

thanks FatMac : ^ /

someone on the forums suggested i go with these guys because the RAM was hard to find. i took a flier but i kind of new i was in trouble with the way they were spelling computer.

then when i had to do a return and read the "All items are tested and in proper working condition upon shipment. No customer is shipped a defective item and therefore...". i was like waaa-aaah? this is like some kind of Orwellian pronouncement or something. "No customer is shipped a defective item and therefore..."! this is like my going through life saying i am never wrong therefore you are always at fault! who needs that?!

then 20 minutes ago i call the phone number listed and i get the fax dial tone after it rings 10 minutes and i think i may be up the creek on this one.

May 20, 2015 3:50 PM in response to hotwheels22

oof. this goes from bad to positively comical. this was in my inbox in the last 5 minutes. when i first read it i though i was being punked!

-

"Dear ________________,

We hope you are happy with the "_____________ 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR2 PC2-6400F 800MHz ECC Fully Buffered FB-DIMM (240 PIN) 8 GB w/ Heatspreaders for Apple computers" you bought on ________. We commend you on your bravery in purchasing a product from a fairly unknown company which had no or very few reviews when you purchased it. It is only from buyers like yourself that our products get some visibility on __________ and allows us to bring good deals to you.

We would appreciate if you could review this product on ________ which will help other _________ visitors in selecting this product. Here is the link, should you wish to proceed with this request (will take less than 1 minute):

< i deleted link >

Thanking you on the business and more importantly on your bravery.

Sales and Marketing Team at ______________

Note: If for some reason you are unhappy with your order or would like to discuss your order with us – please feel free to reply back to this email so that we can offer support for your order."

May 20, 2015 7:37 PM in response to hotwheels22

Glad to help.😉

An example of why I recommended OWC: after considerable use, a DIMM I'd purchased from them begins to show ECC errors on a Sunday, so I call them that day and explain the problem. Within minutes they email me a PDF of a printable pre-paid UPS shipping label. I ship it out Monday. They get it Wednesday and ship out the replacement immediately. I get it Friday, install it and it's still working. That's service and support!

May 22, 2015 4:47 PM in response to lllaass

hi. sincere thanks to all for letting me post on this trying to figure out a somewhat confusing situation.

i wanted to update to say that the next contact i received from this vendor was that they were processing a refund in 3 - 10 days.

i assume this is the case but will update if this doesn't happen.

in the end it appears the vendor did the right thing.

again big thanks for the kindness and good advice.

problem with RAM vendor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.