Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Im trying to copy files from the preview screen to a new external hard drive using disk warrior but it keep saying files could not be copied. can anyone help?

My mac pro froze up on me today and I had to do a forced shut down. When I booted it back up I noticed that my external hard drive (my passport) was missing from my desk top. I tried a different usb chord and it still didn't show up. I also tried using it on another computer and it wasn't appearing there ether. It DID appear in my disk utility and I tried to varify and repair it but it said the disk could not be repaired. I purchase disk warrior which claimed to have rebuilt my disk after a couple of hours. Everything looked good, I could see all my files in the preview window but when I try to copy them over to a new external hard drive it keeps telling me that the files could not be copied. After hours of waiting, not one file has been recovered. Is there any way around this? Im currently using a mac pro running Yosemite. thanks for any help you can provide.

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 20, 2015 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2015 4:44 PM

OK-I'll try

Although Disk warrior may have rebuilt your disk, disk utility says can't be repaired. Maybe you could try TechTool Pro. As for not being able to copy, go into system preferences, users and groups and then see if you can login as adminstrator and change your read/write status to okay for you. or do a "get info" on the hard drive itself, and look for sharing and permissions window at the bottom. read and write should be turned on for the system and I think wheel, but not sure

failing that, there's only so much disk Warrior can do for you. Maybe you can get a copy of Data Rescue 3. I don't know what else to suggest, other than taking it to someone that specializes in data recovery (which isn't cheap), apart from repairing and verifying permissions or zapping the PRAM (doubtful it might help, but maybe?) there's nothing else I can currently suggest. I know Data Rescue 3 works, but it doesn't do so in an organized way. It grabs Everything off the old hard drive and recovers it-no organized in folders neatly, just the files themselves.... the only reason I suggest that it it worked for me....not pretty but it did

John B

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2015 4:44 PM in response to stickbubs

OK-I'll try

Although Disk warrior may have rebuilt your disk, disk utility says can't be repaired. Maybe you could try TechTool Pro. As for not being able to copy, go into system preferences, users and groups and then see if you can login as adminstrator and change your read/write status to okay for you. or do a "get info" on the hard drive itself, and look for sharing and permissions window at the bottom. read and write should be turned on for the system and I think wheel, but not sure

failing that, there's only so much disk Warrior can do for you. Maybe you can get a copy of Data Rescue 3. I don't know what else to suggest, other than taking it to someone that specializes in data recovery (which isn't cheap), apart from repairing and verifying permissions or zapping the PRAM (doubtful it might help, but maybe?) there's nothing else I can currently suggest. I know Data Rescue 3 works, but it doesn't do so in an organized way. It grabs Everything off the old hard drive and recovers it-no organized in folders neatly, just the files themselves.... the only reason I suggest that it it worked for me....not pretty but it did

John B

May 21, 2015 2:15 AM in response to Johnb-one

Sounds like the disk was damaged and there is some bad spots on the disk.

You need data recovery software

http://mac-hard-drive-recovery-review.toptenreviews.com/

BTW I believe that you can download a demo of Data Rescue 4, and the demo will give you an idea of what it can recover. If it looks promising, you then can buy the software.

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

May 21, 2015 5:46 AM in response to stickbubs

Hi there, sounds like your in a spot, an idea may be to check out the integrity of the files and folders that your trying to transfer

2 apps available from the apple store that i have used in the past to check files out have been " Corrupted Text Reader " and " Folder Viewer " they may answer any integrity issue of the files and you may be able to save in that format, you may have many files and folders to check out in order to to see if the suggested apps help so you may need to use a random selection process another option may be to try and convert the files to PDF ( PDF Converter free from the apps store) also available from the apps store, is "File Viewer " apps this is a good application if any of the apps can open the files then you can save the file in that format, then try transferring onto the a new External Hard drive or thumb nail

sorry i can't recall the price of the apps but i do find all the above apps handy to have around.

Good Luck

May 21, 2015 5:50 AM in response to Johnb-one

thanks for replying so quickly 🙂

It wasn't a permissions issue and I couldn't change the read or write status in the get info section because the hard drive wasn't event mounting. the only place i can see it is in the side bar in disk utilities. I did take your advice and checked out data rescue 4 which I ended up purchasing. It scanned my disk and found the files within a few hours. Now my issue is that the recovery process is going unbelievably slow. I left it running all night and all it has recovered is 1.3 gigs of 350. appereantly its going to take 408 days and 19 hours from the time I wrote this. I don't think i can wait till next year for this to finish up lol. Anyone know why this might be?

nothing else is running on my computer.

May 21, 2015 7:55 AM in response to stickbubs

Disk Warrior has an advanced rebuild where it goes out and finds all the file segments and creates a new directory build only on what it finds.

Carbon Copy Cloner is excellent and has its adv. settings where you can enable to do a checksum on all files copied.

Get a self-powered external instead of the WD Passport. And also get a UPS. Some use two, one for just the small peripheral equipment like routers, modem, display and ext. hdds and leave one larger unit for the computer.

Anytime your do a hard forced shutdown a Safe Boot and Recovery Mode should be used or considered.

And two backup sets for all data. A cloned volume and TimeMachine at a minimum.

You do not need to go buy TTPro but between DW, CCC and the Data Rescue 4 you should be able to recover some - and better chances if you have even an older backup set as well.

May 21, 2015 7:59 AM in response to peter from old bar

well its only around 300 gigs worth of files. in this day and age that isn't very much. Whats really strange is that i selected three folders to recover. one of them is showing up in the external hard drive that I'm sending them to, and almost all the files are in there. They are movie files and each one is around a gig, maybe 2 and there are 20 of them. Yet data rescue is telling me its only recovered 1.4 gigs. none of this makes any sense to me. I feel like I'm so close yet so far.

May 21, 2015 4:23 PM in response to stickbubs

I avoid name brand external drives for the most part. The enclosures are often not high quality and you don't necessarily know what drive is inside. Sometimes the drive can't be used outside of the enclosure. I feel safer buying a good enclosure and choosing what drive I install in it. I also like knowing that I can just remove the drive and install it inside my Mac if I want or need to do that. Troubleshooting problems with external HDs is easier if you can determine whether the problem is with the drive, or the enclosure. If you can't easily remove the drive and install it in another enclosure or dock to test, that's a big problem.

Im trying to copy files from the preview screen to a new external hard drive using disk warrior but it keep saying files could not be copied. can anyone help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.