Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto swallowed almost all of my events into one big event

Hi. I'm running iPhoto v.9.6 using Yosemite on a 2011MBP.

Yesterday, I realized that my most recent batch of imported photos (called "Besties") "swallowed" almost all of my other "personally titled batches" or "events". I haven't lost any photos, but I've lost all my organization of those photos. See below how the "Besties" event has 1,796 photos? Well those photos should really be about 50 different events that I spent a few hours categorizing.

User uploaded file

When I google how to restore my library (I'm assuming that that's what I need to do) from Time Machine, I got the following instructions:

1. Quit iPhoto.
  2. Connect your Time Machine drive.
  3. In the Finder, open the folder containing your iPhoto Library. Unless you've moved your iPhoto Library, it can be found in Home/Pictures/iPhoto Library.
  4. Enter Time Machine. (Time Machine can be found in the Dock or in the /Applications folder.)
  5. Choose your desired backup. The timeline on the right side of the screen displays a purple tick mark for each of the backups stored on your Time Machine drive.
  6. Select the iPhoto library you would like to restore, and click the Restore button.

The thing is, when I go to complete step #3 (Home/Pictures/iPhoto Library) iPhoto Library is NOT a folder, but rather a link which OPENS the actual application. So, I can't complete the instructions without ignoring this fact found just below the instructions:

Time Machine canʼt do a full iPhoto Library backup when iPhoto is open.

To summarize, I want all my event titles back. What's the best way to proceed?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 20, 2015 5:44 PM

3 replies

iPhoto swallowed almost all of my events into one big event

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.