Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need to install 1,000 OS on macbook pros

I have over a 1000 macbook that are fairly old. But it is for a school and we have them wiped out with no OS. I was wondering if it's posSible to set up a server that I can hook 100+ macbooks up and blast the operating system to all of them at once? Also I'm not sure on what type of equipment I would need for this and would this be cheaper than getting 50 usb with the OS on them and installing them separately?

MacBook Pro, OS X Server

Posted on May 20, 2015 4:49 PM

5 replies

May 22, 2015 8:12 AM in response to racousins86

I know of no automated way to do either the firmware or the secure erase.

If you want the "fresh, out of the box" user experience, you'd want to do a NetInstall. If you want all of the systems imaged to be identical, you'd do a NetRestore (possibly the ASR multicast I mentioned previously.)

Snow Leopard is going to be a bit of an issue because they never produced an installer for the last update (10.6.8?) This means you have to install from the most recent full installer (10.6.3 or 10.6.5 IIRC) and then software update it from there.

A possible workflow to consider would be to make a NetBoot image. Host it as a diskless NetBoot. Boot each client into it and run your procedure as described. This way you'd only have to touch each system once.

need to install 1,000 OS on macbook pros

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.