Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recently, my iPod would play no sound even if my headphones weren't plugged in so I would just restart it and it would go back to normal. But today, even if my headphones were plugged in, my iPod would only play sound through the speaker?

w

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 20, 2015 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 1:51 AM

- Try cleaning out/blowing out the headphone jack. Try inserting/removing the plug a dozen times or so. There is a little switch in the headphone jack that disconnects the speaker when the headphone jack is inserted.

Fix for iphone Earphone Bug

Try the following to rule out a software problem

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store. Seems you have a bad headphone jack or other hardware problem

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2015 1:51 AM in response to indpritmatharoo

- Try cleaning out/blowing out the headphone jack. Try inserting/removing the plug a dozen times or so. There is a little switch in the headphone jack that disconnects the speaker when the headphone jack is inserted.

Fix for iphone Earphone Bug

Try the following to rule out a software problem

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store. Seems you have a bad headphone jack or other hardware problem

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Jul 31, 2015 11:06 PM in response to indpritmatharoo

Try this. If your Side Switch is set to control Lock Rotation, go to Settings > General. Look at Side Switch setting. Turn it to Mute, then check to see that the Side Switch is in the position which allows sound. If not, change Side Switch to play sound. Then immediately, change Side Switch setting back to Lock Rotation. The sound should now play freely. Or perhaps you wish to leave the iPad Side Switch under Mute control.

Recently, my iPod would play no sound even if my headphones weren't plugged in so I would just restart it and it would go back to normal. But today, even if my headphones were plugged in, my iPod would only play sound through the speaker?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.