Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacMini and LG 34UM95 causing black borders around screen

Hi all,

So I am having issues with a new setup ..

New Mac Mini (mid-level late 2014 model)

New LG 34UM95 Dislpay

Thunderbolt 2 connection

Yosemite (latest updates)

The mini shows a resolution of 3440x1440 but there are black borders around the screen - like underscan.

I don't see an option to adjust the scan under Prefs->Display ..

I tried to connect a MBP 2012 to the monitor to troubleshoot and it works as intended, no black borders.

Has anyone experienced that same? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 20, 2015 10:51 PM

6 replies

Jul 16, 2016 12:08 AM in response to Bytestream

I had this problem with black borders too (0.5" at the top and bottom and 1.5" on the left and right sides), tried different mini to displayport and hdmi cables, searched for answers (which were sparse), nothing worked. I am using a MacBook Air 2015 13". On two monitors, LG34UM95, and LG34UM68, the exact same problem was replicated on both screens. The resolutions were showing as 3440*1440 and 2560 *1080, but it was the same black borders all around. I was desperate and thought it's a problem with my cables, El Capitan, or macs not working with LG monitors.

Underscan option only showed up on hdmi but was still not putting out the full resolution (1920px max width) - desktop was not filling the whole monitor screen, just half of it. Well, we actually don't need to adjust this setting at all.

Here are the steps that worked for me, using mathewwinkson's instructions to force RGB mode in mac osx to fix the picture quality of an external monitor. After following all the steps and restarting for the final time, I was amazed - there are no longer having black borders around my desktop image on the monitor! Finally, I can enjoy the full quality of this beautiful widescreen monitor.

Make sure that you are in the system library folder, not user library folder. Cheers.

http://www.mathewinkson.com/2013/03/force-rgb-mode-in-mac-os-x-to-fix-the-pictur e-quality-of-an-external-monitor#comment…

MacMini and LG 34UM95 causing black borders around screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.