Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.6 in Yosemite kept locking up and/or crash, barely usable.

With the latest update applied, now my Aperture is barely usable. It was fine before.

I'm trying to go through about 2000 pictures for a quick star rating. If I go between pictures too fast, Aperture fall behind, eventually throw up a beachball and then crash completely a few seconds afterword.

Last crash was so bad, it locked up my entire computer. I can't even bring up my Force Quit windows. Funny, the music on iTune kept playing in the background.

I had to cold-reboot the Mac Pro.

This is a sad state of Aperture. I've been a user since it came out version 1.0. It is probably time to move on to something else.

Posted on May 20, 2015 9:39 PM

7 replies

May 20, 2015 9:45 PM in response to anawat Chankhunthod

With the latest update applied, now my Aperture is barely usable.

What was your latest update? Are you using Aperture 3.6 on MacOS X 10.10.3?

Have you tried to repair the Aperture library?

Do you have enough free storage on the System drive and the drive with your Aperture library?

Does Aperture work better, if you hold down the Shift key while launching Aperture?

May 20, 2015 10:49 PM in response to léonie

3.6 on 10.10.3

Ample of space on both root drive and photo drive.

32 GB of RAM

Final Cut with 3 HD streams run fine on it.

I did Library repair after 3-4 crashes per Aperture suggest.

Then the latest crash completely lockup my GUI.

I think that Apple really messed up this latest update somehow at least for my usage.

It was fine before this update.

May 21, 2015 1:04 AM in response to anawat Chankhunthod

Have not tried starting Shift Key to disable the preview.

Try that please.

Crashes or freezings can be caused by original image files, that cannot be processed because of a corruption.

Launching Aperture with the Shift key held down will defer the gratin of previews and prevent background processing, that might cause these crashes. If the problem does not occur, when you launch Aperture with the Shift key held down, you'll know that the problem is data related and caused by items in your Aperture library and not by Aperture or the recent system update.

You may also want to keep the Aperture Activity window open to see which images or videos are beeng processed. (Window menu > Show Activity).

The sequence that caused the crash when I rate 6-7 pictures in rapid succession using number key to assign star rating and move quickly to next picture using right arrow key.

Another test to narrow down the problem and see if it is caused by your Aperture Library is to create a small library for testing and check if you are seeing the same symptoms.

May 22, 2015 10:25 PM in response to anawat Chankhunthod

I would think if it's particular corrupt image, it would keep crashing at the same spot.

If this is caused by the background processing of videos or photos, the crash may not be related to the photo you are currently browsing or editing. Photos is processing faces or previews in the background, and you simply cannot know, which photo or video it is currently trying to update.

Aperture 3.6 in Yosemite kept locking up and/or crash, barely usable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.