Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can you split clips?

I know FCPX automatically splits clips from a DV tape import, but I'm importing old analog footage (VHS & 8mm) to QT7pro (FCPX won't do it cause it doesn't have timecode), and multiple events on the tape are all grouped into one clip. I don't want to sit there through all the tapes, starting & stopping import at each break for dozens of tapes, but I want to separate these different events into different "events" & "libraries" in FCPX.

I was thinking to import the whole tape into QT7, then export different parts to separate videos, then import those separate videos into FCPX. But is there a way I can just import the clip into FCPX and then make breaks in clips? I know it wants to be nondestructive, but I don't want lots copies of the full tape in multiple libraries!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 20, 2015 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 3:09 AM

I see two possible courses of action: 1) export every bit and piece in QT7; or 2) use keywords and smart collections in FCP X.

I personally would probably go with 2).

Using external media, you could just store your "tape" mov in a designated location, import to libraries as needed (witout any duplication, because media would be left in place). You would then catalog your media inside FCP X; you could start by rejecting those bits and pieces of junk (like where you were stopping the camera or filming the floor...). By selecting "Hide rejected" you would start to see your time divided up in its recordings. Then you could proceed to mark favorites and add keywords - your keyword collections could in essence take the role of the "events".

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2015 3:09 AM in response to Nick Haley

I see two possible courses of action: 1) export every bit and piece in QT7; or 2) use keywords and smart collections in FCP X.

I personally would probably go with 2).

Using external media, you could just store your "tape" mov in a designated location, import to libraries as needed (witout any duplication, because media would be left in place). You would then catalog your media inside FCP X; you could start by rejecting those bits and pieces of junk (like where you were stopping the camera or filming the floor...). By selecting "Hide rejected" you would start to see your time divided up in its recordings. Then you could proceed to mark favorites and add keywords - your keyword collections could in essence take the role of the "events".

May 21, 2015 4:54 AM in response to Nick Haley

If it were my project, I would also do as Luis recommends in his 2) workflow.

Also, as a point of info, QT Pro offers many useful tools to users – including the ability to make selects (setting in and out points) and then trimming to the selection (from the Edit menu). If you Save As (the trimmed section) you have two choices – a self contained movie or reference movie. Neither involves requires recompression. Although FCP X doesn't export reference movies (which are very small in size), it will import them and work with them. Meanwhile, your original clip is still available intact.

Russ

can you split clips?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.