Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backs Up Entire External Drive Each Backup

This will be a lengthy post, I'll do my best to shorten it as much as possible, but I apologize if its a quite a read.

Here's some information about my setup. I have an iMac (500 gigs) with a 500 gigabyte Glyph drive that I use to store my Pro Tools sessions. I have a 2 terabyte time machine set up to backup BOTH my iMac's internal hard drive and my Glyph Drive.

Side Note: The Glyph drive is kind of a fancy drive with an on/off switch.. turning it off basically is the same as ejecting (obviously you have to eject it, then turn it off).

For about 2 years, my time machine was setup to auto backup, the standard time, every hour. Now, there were days when my Glyph drive was on when the time machine would include my Glyph drive along with the iMac backups... and there were other days when the Glyph drive was off and the time machine would just back up the iMac. For 2 years, time machine functioned just fine with ignoring my glyph drive when it was off and when it was on, picking up where it last left off and updating the new changes from the Glyph.

Well, recently, as 2-3 months ago, I wanted to clean my Glyph drive, I was getting some errors from Pro Tools about fragmentation on the Glyph that I ignored for a very long time. I decided to finally do it. I dragged all of my sessions off my Glyph drive and onto another external drive, then I wiped the Glyph and put back all of the sessions. I knew that when I did this, Time Machine was not going to recognize the Glyph drive anymore and re-backup the whole thing and that's exactly what it did. I plugged it in after the I put all the files on it and time machine backed it up as a new drive (118 gigs of stuff). I figured what I would do is delete all the old Glyph drive backups (prior to the Glyph wipe), since they were duplicate backups that were eating up twice the space, if not more. So, I went back and found the old Glyph drive backups and said chose the option to delete all backups of that file. Now, my Time Machine had all my iMac backups for the past 2 years and a fresh new backup of my Glyph.

Here's where the problems started. If I left the Glyph drive plugged it during every backup, Time Machine was fine and only backed up what had changed on the Glyph drive... If I turned off the Glyph drive (ejected it) and Time Machine made just one backup without the Glyph on, the next time the Glyph would be on, Time Machine would re-backup the whole drive (118 gigs). So, time machine recognizes the drive as long as the last backup had both iMac+Glyph.. if there's a backup with just iMac, the next backup of the iMac+Glyph would re-backup the whole Glyph drive, like its forgetting that it was the same drive plugged in last time. I know something is screwy because it never used to 'forget' the drive... it used to always just pick back up where it left off whenever the drive was available again.

I don't know how accurate Pondini is, but here's a quote I found from the site:

http://pondini.org/TM/32.html

If a drive isn't available (such as an external that isn't always connected), Time Machine will just skip it, and continue backing-up all others normally. The next time it's available, Time Machine will back up whatever's new or changed since the last backup of that volume. If it's been disconnected for a long time, the next backup may be longer than usual.

Anyways, the last 2-3 months, my workaround has been this. I turned off automatic syncs, because every hour that my time machine synced without the glyph, the next time the glyph was available, it would rebackup the whole thing. So I turned off automatic syncs and switched to manual syncs. I only sync once a day now and thats after working on a Pro Tools session when the drive is on. I'll sync it once, then turn the drive off... this way every single backup has a glyph drive in it.

Today, something odd happened. For some reason, time machine skipped my glyph drive during a backup... I looked in the backup folder that should normally be both iMac and Glyph and just iMac was there. I went to backup again and now it started to sync my whole Glyph again. So I cancelled the backup.. I went back and deleted the last backup before (the just iMac one) and then tried another backup and it worked just fine. As soon as I removed the backup that was missing the Glyph, it picked back up from last time.

Anyway, this is absolutely crazy. I've been dealing with it ever since I cleaned my Glyph drive.. I'm really hoping for a solution that doesn't involve reformatting again or losing my backups. That'll scare the heck out of me, but I'll try whatever anyone suggests.

This is a great community and I'm extremely appreciative of the help you guys have given me in the past. Thanks for your time, if you've made it this far.

As a note, I also properly eject my Glyph drive with the eject button under devices before turning off.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), null

Posted on May 20, 2015 11:16 PM

6 replies

May 21, 2015 2:51 PM in response to josephtlyons

Hum... I've been trying to get answers (update) about this thread:Serious Time Machine bug on Mountain Lion

I too use Pro Tools and plan to build an automated backup strategy, reading a lot these 2 days about using Time Machine on Mountain Lion (I use 10.8.5 though - not sure if issues you experienced or those in the discussion thread above are still remaining...)

I am reading about Carbon Copy and other commercial third party. But the more I read, the more I conclude that my manual approach (that is, manually backing up on another drive AND on a Dropbox account) is probably safer. Requires a huge discipline (which I don't always have, and as my system crashed 3 days ago for 24 hours, that's why I am coming back to searching a viable automated solution. I never used TM, but would like to hear about other Pro Tools and heavy media software users - else than complex RAID or anything like this very expensive). I'm glad to read you have been using TM without issues on ML for 2 years, but your message comes timely as I'm reading the thread and other forums about those issues on Mountain Lion with TM...

Just purchased a HDD for this purpose today, but I guess it'll take another few days before I choose an approach 🙂 ...

Sorry I'm not bringing an answer, but at same time, just wonder if you have ever read about those issues and if yours is related...

Cheers,
Rob

Sep 12, 2015 1:57 AM in response to lanstrad1

update, another time machine related issue forced me to delete all of my backups and start fresh. I formatted the partition time machine was on so it was nice and clean, then started a new sync including both iMac HD and my Glyph. when this was done, I ejecited my glyph, created a new backup of just the iMac HD, then, turnEd my Glyph drive back on and did one more back up, time machine began syncing the whole thing again (110 Gigs) :/

very annoying, back in the day, for 2 years straight, time machine could function properly with and without any drivea connected. I could disconnect my drive, backup new things on my iMac hard drive, days later kick back on my Glyoh drive and do another backup and it would just add the changes from the Glyph drive, not the whole drive again. Stinks because I can't use automatic backups anymore, has to be manual so I can tell it to backup only in the presence of the glyph or else it will re capture the entire drive again.

I have no idea what is going on now, I'm going to try to reach out to the TM expert, Pondini.

Sep 12, 2015 1:18 PM in response to Eric Root

Wow! I think you solved my problem! I did a Time Machine reset via deleting the Time Machine preference and all seems to be going ok now. I'll have to see how long it lasts 🙂, but hopefully its fixed!

I tested it out:

1) Turned on my Glyph and backed up Time Machine (Backed up both iMac HD and Glyph)

2) Ejected my Glpyh and did another backup (Just iMac HD)

3) Turned Glyph back on and did another backup and it was only a few megabytes and it was done

It seems that Time Machine isn't forgetting that drive now! 🙂

Thank you very much. And much thanks to the Pondini information you pointed me to, I hope they can memorialize his website so his information can continue to help people. Its a great source of information. Very well documented.

The most laughable aspect of this whole situation is that I'm very familiar with having to delete preference.plists. I have been running Pro Tools for 6 or 7 years now and you learn really fast that huge programs, such as pro tools, can sometimes get entirely screwed up and not run correctly. As a beginner, you get frustrated as you have no clue what to do and why its doing it, but as you learn more and more, you find out that there are preference lists that contain information for how the program should work and that these can get corrupted and screw with things. So I'm very familiar with this action of removing plists to fix issues, but I never once thought about that sort of thing for Time Machine. I guess I'm just so foreign to the workings of it that I totally didn't think that that could be a solution. Such a quick fix.

Its easily noticed that its working too. If I check my backups that occurred when the Glyph drive was off, the folder housing that backup will actually show that no Glyph is present... and the next backup shows its there again (this is after it backed it up entirely again). Now that the issue is fixed, even when the drive is off and a backup has been made without it, the folder still shows the Glyph drive present, like its a ghost image to tell Time Machine that it still exists and not to forget it. Very cool

Time Machine Backs Up Entire External Drive Each Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.