Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to download photos inside iCloud photo library before disable iClould

My phone is iOS 8.3 and my computer is OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 (iPhoto doesn't works anymore, instead there is another application called Photos)

I have 3.2G of photos are automatically saved in iCloud photo library, now I would like to download all those photos and release my iCloud space and no longer use iCloud.

I tried as following:

1. on iPhone: iCloud-> Photos-> iCloud Photo Library : it says this iPhone was not able to download full-resolution photos and videos. If you continue, the low-resolution will be removed (but i dont want it happen)
  2. on Mac: System preference-> iCloud-> Photos-> iCloud photo library : it says this library exceed your available iCloud storage.
  3. on Mac: Photos-> Preference-> iCloud -> iCloud Photo library : it comes out a window says upgrade iCloud storage.
  4. on the webpage icloud.com : Photos: I could download the photo but its too miserable to manage iCloud in this way! coz I have to click the photos thousands of time to select it and then download it individually.

How can I do??

Posted on May 21, 2015 2:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 2:09 AM

(iPhoto doesn't works anymore, instead there is another application called Photos)

iPhoto has just been removed from the Dock but will still be in your Applications folder. Drag it back from Applications to the Dock.

Double click iPhoto to launch. You will see a warning, that the library has been migrated. Click the "Open iPhoto" button.

However, you will need iPhoto 9.6.1 with MacOS X 10.10.3. Otherwise iPhoto will be crossed out, because it is not compatible.

If you did not yet update to this iPhoto version, see this user tip:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2015 2:09 AM in response to cleverpine

(iPhoto doesn't works anymore, instead there is another application called Photos)

iPhoto has just been removed from the Dock but will still be in your Applications folder. Drag it back from Applications to the Dock.

Double click iPhoto to launch. You will see a warning, that the library has been migrated. Click the "Open iPhoto" button.

However, you will need iPhoto 9.6.1 with MacOS X 10.10.3. Otherwise iPhoto will be crossed out, because it is not compatible.

If you did not yet update to this iPhoto version, see this user tip:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

May 21, 2015 3:57 AM in response to cleverpine

I tried as following:

1. on iPhone: iCloud-> Photos-> iCloud Photo Library : it says this iPhone was not able to download full-resolution photos and videos. If you continue, the low-resolution will be removed (but i dont want it happen)
  2. on Mac: System preference-> iCloud-> Photos-> iCloud photo library : it says this library exceed your available iCloud storage.
  3. on Mac: Photos-> Preference-> iCloud -> iCloud Photo library : it comes out a window says upgrade iCloud storage.
  4. on the webpage icloud.com : Photos: I could download the photo but its too miserable to manage iCloud in this way! coz I have to click the photos thousands of time to select it and then download it individually.

How can I do??

Your increased iCloud Storage will not help in this situation. You need empty storage on your Mac.

Do you have an external drive with with enough free storage?

You need an external drive formatted MacoS Extended (Journaled) and directly connected to your Mac, as described here for Aperture:

Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

Once you have an external drive connected, create a new, empty Photos library like this:

• Hold down the alt/options key.
  • While holding down the alt/options key double click the iPhoto icon in the Dock and wait,till the library chooser panel appears.
  • Select to create a new library and select the external drive as the location.
  • When Photos launches, open the Photos > Preferences > General.
    • Enable the Library as the main System Photo Library.
    • Enable iCloud Photo Library in the Photos > Preferences > iCloud.
    • Enable "Download Originals to this mac" in the Photos > Preferences > iCloud.
  • Now wait for your iCloud Photos to download to the Mac.

how to download photos inside iCloud photo library before disable iClould

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.