Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help for noob: traveling internationally w/ iPhone

Hello. I only recently purchased an iPhone and need some assistance with using the phone while in Europe and limiting my expense while doing so.

I have an iPhone 6 from ATT. I have bought some international text messages, international minutes, and a small amount of data (300 MB). I will use the phone mostly to make and receive calls and send text messages; I will check emails infrequently but there will be some of that.

I need some help figuring out what settings to enable / disable to allow me to send / receive text messages and check e-mails, while limiting the amount of data that burn through and also to avoid incurring unwanted / unnecessary fees. Can someone please advise?

I've got some thoughts on what I need to do as follows:

Under Cellular Data:

1. Leave Cellular Data turned on.

2. Enable LTE for both voice and data (not just data).

3. Leave Data Roaming turned on.

4. Go through all of the apps under Use Cellular Data For and turn off everything except for Mail

Under Background App Refresh:

Turn off this setting.

Under Location Privacy / Services:

Turn this off.

Under Privacy / Share My Location:

Turn this off.

Posted on May 21, 2015 4:43 AM

2 replies

May 23, 2015 9:05 PM in response to dingo!

The good news is that your phone is AT&T, so it's fully compatible with almost all European carriers. This also gives you - if you're brave - the option of purchasing a pre-paid SIM card once you're in Europe and not even using AT&T surrogates there - ask the locals about best choices.

This is is what I usually do...

- Purchase short-term, discounted, international cellular and minimal data plans from AT&T;

- Download and install the AT&T iPhone app, so you can easily change your plans and monitor usage;

- Visit my AT&T account preferences and select to have text messages sent about my usage, so I don't get any surprises;

- All cellular data activities are normally turned off; I activate them only when absolutely necessary (using Maps, for example);

- Public Wi-Fi is readily available in many locations; I try to perform all data-intensive tasks when on Wi-Fi (browsing, email, iMessages, using apps, etc);

- Background activities OFF, but Location services ON (they don't use much data, but make other activities work more efficiently (Maps, etc).

Enjoy!

Help for noob: traveling internationally w/ iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.