Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which 21,5'' iMac to buy (after new releases)?

Dear Apple Support community,

My mother-in-law wants to buy an 21,5'' iMac. She is using her current notebook in order to edit some photos (on a very basic level) and creates her own photobooks by using the CEWE Fotobuch application (also, I think, very basic stuff).

As she will use her iMac for more or less the same things, I wonder which 21,5'' iMac (after the upcoming new releases) will be the best choice for her?

I personally think that the 1,4 GHz dual-core version, incl. the Intel HD Graphics 5000, will be to slow, after 1 or 2 years.The middle-class version of 2,7 GHz quad-core with 16 GB RAM (instant upgrade from 8 basic to 16 GB), 1 TB Fusion-Drive and the Intel Iris Pro Graphics will be the best choice. Or do you think the 2,9 Ghz quad-core version including a "more or less" real GPU (GeForce GT 750M) will be the best for her type of "work"?

In advance I thank you for your help!

P.S.: It's important that the performance of the iMac will not drop down after 1 year.

iMac

Posted on May 21, 2015 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 7:59 AM

the video cards is focused on 3d as in games and pro 3d modeling

a more fancy video card will not make photo working faster nor video editing

23 replies

May 21, 2015 1:14 PM in response to John0001

John0001 wrote:

Well, to be perfectly clear your average user cannot upgrade RAM on 21.5" iMac since 2012, but you can have Apple do it for you 😉

iMac: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

Sorry but this is incorrect information.

Apple will not perform RAM upgrades. 2012 21.5" iMacs may have the RAM upgrading to 16GB however Apple will not perform this upgrade. An Apple Authorized Service Provider may though. 21.5" iMacs made in 2013 and later have the RAM soldered in, therefore RAM for those machines is not upgradeable!

May 21, 2015 2:58 PM in response to Old Toad

Ah, got you. Still, it is an upgrade if you're getting more memory 🙂 when I went from a 128i to a 135i it was an upgrade, not like they just replaced the engine XD.

So ya, for the OP I cannot see that person using more than 8GB of memory, but if that changes later they can upgrade/actually have apple replace to more memory.

May 21, 2015 3:26 PM in response to John0001

So ya, for the OP I cannot see that person using more than 8GB of memory, but if that changes later they can upgrade/actually have apple replace to more memory.

Again: Apple will replace defective RAM when warranty service is performed, the part replaced will be the exact same part - it cannot be upgraded at that time. And, Apple will not add RAM later; additionally, since the screens are glued/fused, I would hesitate to have an AASP open it to just add more RAM. Here is an install video:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_21inch_late_2012_mem_m/

May 21, 2015 3:37 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

John0001 wrote:

Well, to be perfectly clear your average user cannot upgrade RAM on 21.5" iMac since 2012, but you can have Apple do it for you 😉

Sorry but this is incorrect information.

Apple will not perform RAM upgrades. 2012 21.5" iMacs may have the RAM upgrading to 16GB however Apple will not perform this upgrade. An Apple Authorized Service Provider may though. 21.5" iMacs made in 2013 and later have the RAM soldered in, therefore RAM for those machines is not upgradeable!

I stand corrected sir!

May 21, 2015 5:46 PM in response to babowa

Please read the apple support link. Yes, you can get a memory upgrade on iMac 21.5 past 2012. You do need to take it to an Apple Store or authorized Apple tech.

Sorry for for being so persistent here. I've recently gone from having 1 MBA and 3 PCs To 0 PCs, and iMac 5K, the new MacBook, and I'm about to order the 15" MBP since they FINALLY but a 1/2 way decent GPU in the top model. Just want more folks informed and buying Macs so apple keeps up the good work!

Which 21,5'' iMac to buy (after new releases)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.