Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I switch from wifi to ethernet?

I want to use a ethernet cable connection rather than, or in conjunction with, my wifi to improve streaming. But simply plugging in the cable does nothing, and I don't want to reset the unit if I don't have to. Question is, do I have to reset or is there a work-around?

AppleTV 2

Posted on May 21, 2015 4:22 AM

1 reply

May 21, 2015 5:00 AM in response to egobias

If you plug in the cable and the other end is also plugged in (to a switch or a router), the ATV is supposed to automatically switch over to Ethernet. In the Network settings it will say Ethernet and you won't even have the option of selecting a WiFi network. In almost all cases, this provides better performance.

If this isn't happening, make sure the other end is plugged in. If you still have no connectivity, try the cable with something else (like a MacBook that has an Ethernet port) as it could be a problem with the cable.

No reset should be needed, but if all else fails... I'd do a plain restart first.

How do I switch from wifi to ethernet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.