Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Device Enrollment Program- Couldn't assign your devices

I have the initial set up for the DEP done. Now when I try to enroll a device by entering the device's serial number I get the following error "Couldn't Assign Your Devices. The data you provided may be incorrect. Please verify your serial numbers and try again." All of our devices are purchased directly from Apple and I know the serial number is correct. This is my first time setting anything like this up as I am filling in temporarily for a position so any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on May 21, 2015 6:21 AM

9 replies

Jun 4, 2015 11:00 AM in response to erickson54

I have run into this exact situation.

The issue is that iPads can only be enrolled in DEP if they are purchased...I'm sorry...SOLD a certain way. If the devices are purchased from Apple, they STILL have to be sold a certain way to you in order for the machines to be DEP compatible.

In my situation, even though we had purchased the devices directly form Apple, the serial numbers and the order number will not add any device to DEP.

I talked to Enterprise support, and was told to have "have the Apple Rep return the order, and repurchase it through the DEP approved process."

When I talked to our rep, I got the impression he either did not understand what I relayed to him, did not know how to perform the actions or did not want to perform the actions required. Our rep kicked it up to a higher level, but not until after asking me who gave me that information.

If anyone gets this working, I would appreciate a heads up, as I do not relish cinfigurating 30 iPads.

Device Enrollment Program- Couldn't assign your devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.