Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

swupd_syncd Runaway Downloads

Hiya folks.

Well, I have an old machine running 10.5.8 Server. I am only using this OS for workstation stuff, and serving nothing. The only services that are turned on are AFP and Web.

I'm finding that the swupd_syncd process was downloading at ~2MB/s for days on end and messing up my bandwidth and network and all that stuff. I haven't heard of this process but this morning's research tells me it's the LAN reachout to Apple for getting approved software updates, from this server software. The issue is, I don't have that service turned on.

So I turned on the service so that it could possibly tweak any conf files into proper permissions and structure.

Software Update Service is: Running

Last check for updates: May 20, 2015, 11:20 pm GMT

Updates Copied: 281

Auto-Copy: Off

Auto-Enable: Off

So if I turn this thing off, will it just shut up totally? That's what I want.

It's been sucking files for days on end. Furthermore, the log says back in 2012, some guy at 58.218.x.x was trying to use my server for software updates. SMH.

Any advice appreciated. Just need this server to serve me and nobody else.

Cheers

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 21, 2015 5:10 AM

There are no replies.

swupd_syncd Runaway Downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.