Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery not detected / battery not charging

This has been happening on and off for the past year or so (maybe 2-3 times a year).

Even though I have my 60W adapter (that came with the computer) connected and the light is green, the battery percentage remainder on the top of the screen will all of a sudden have an "x" through it and basically my computer cannot detect my battery. I go to see info on my battery / battery life and everything is "0" or "No" (battery is not detected on my computer). The computer then also runs VERY slowly when the "x" is there.

Then every hour or two I'll notice the battery percentage is there again (no "x), but it will be very low, like right now it's at 3%, and it's not going up (still connected to my adapter, light is still green). Then my computer will run normally (not as slow when the "x" is there). Then it will go back to having an "x", and it goes on like that for a while.

Right now there is no "x" there so I can see info on my battery. It reads as follows:

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial Number: W0*********3BA

Manufacturer: SMP

Device Name: bq20z451

Pack Lot Code: 0

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 201

Hardware Revision: 000a

Cell Revision: 158

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 182

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5224

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 788

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 11021

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake on LAN: Yes

Current Power Source: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0

Standby Delay: 4200

Standby Enabled: 0

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 38

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 38

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Reduce Brightness: Yes

Standby Delay: 4200

Standby Enabled: 0

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

ID: 0x0100

Wattage (W): 60

Revision: 0x0000

Family: 0x0085

Serial Number: 0x******08f

Charging: No

I've read a few posts in the Community to see if I could rectify my issue, but nothing has worked so far. I'm not sure if the issue is my battery or my adapter, or both. I cannot remove the battery myself (as I have seen this suggestion from Apple Support). Also, my battery has not surpassed the power cycle count (it's at 788 and the limit is 1000 for my MacBook Pro). Any ideas?

<Edited by Host>

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 13", Early 2011

Posted on May 21, 2015 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 10:36 AM

Try a SMC reset:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

The cycle count is only a rough guide in regards to the battery condition. The way the battery has been used/abused is more important. There is no guarantee that the battery will actually last 1000 cycles and some will last for many more.

If available, try another charger.

If the SMC does not help, make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar for a free evaluation.

Ciao.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2015 10:36 AM in response to GenJG

Try a SMC reset:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

The cycle count is only a rough guide in regards to the battery condition. The way the battery has been used/abused is more important. There is no guarantee that the battery will actually last 1000 cycles and some will last for many more.

If available, try another charger.

If the SMC does not help, make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar for a free evaluation.

Ciao.

May 22, 2015 5:07 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I did this and thought it was working but after I started using it it went back to the "x". However, I've since just left my computer alone and shut it down and let it charge overnight and opened it this morning and it's now at 91% and working fine and I haven't seen the "x" yet. Here's hoping. Thanks for your help!

Battery not detected / battery not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.