Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Format changes when exported to docx

I have edited, completed, and saved my document in pages. I export it to a docx however, the edits don't hold. I have also tried editing it as a docx and re-exporting it to docx, so that I would not have to save it as pages and change the integrity of the document. How do I get the edits to hold so that I can send a properly formatted doc via email?

Please note: sending it as a pdf is not an option. Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 21, 2015 9:00 AM

4 replies

May 21, 2015 10:00 AM in response to HerHighnessDon

When you say the edits don't hold in your exported Word document, what are you viewing it with afterwards to arrive at that determination? And by the way, what explicit version of Pages are you using?

Whether Pages opens or exports a Word document, it is always a translation into/from Pages proprietary .pages format. At no time are you ever working in the native Word .docx document architecture. If you want to avoid translation, then use Word in Office for Mac 2011 update 14.5.0.

May 21, 2015 11:05 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX, I still use pages to look at it. But I have also sent it to my email and opened the doc on a PC. When I say the changes don't hold I mean that, for example, I change the first few pages to count in roman numerals. When I send it as Word doc, or check it as an exported Word document, the roman numerals have changed to regular numbers. Even the font size and type are also changed. It also changes the formatting on my reference section.

May 21, 2015 12:32 PM in response to HerHighnessDon

Pages v5.5.3 has limited support for Word 2013. The first public download availability of Office 2013 was in November 2012. In December 2012, the last update to Pages '09 was released as v4.3. So, probably safe bet that it doesn't support Office 2013 specific features at all.

I very much suspect that you are experiencing a translation gap between Pages v5.5.3 and MS Office. You might consider downloading the free LibreOffice (it all installs into /Applications, so easy to remove if you choose). LibreOffice is heavily committed to Office 2013 functionality support. Open your exported .docx in LibreOffice and evaluate your .docx format retention there.

The first time you want to launch LibreOffice, right-click and choose open. When LibreOffice presents its dialog, choose Open again. OS X will then verify the application. Subsequently, you can just double-click as you would to launch any application, and it does so without additional prompts.

Format changes when exported to docx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.