Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What third party Email works with Mail?

I want an email address which does not change when I change internet service providers.

I want to continue read and sent email via Apple's Mail, use my Apple Contacts, etc, just like I have done in the past with POP accounts from Mediacom (cable) and AT&T (DSL).

Can anyone recommend a third-party email service which is free or low cost? (This is for personal use - so I don't want to pay for a business-level service.)

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 21.5 inch; 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on May 21, 2015 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2015 9:27 AM

Set up an iCloud e-mail address in System Preferences/Mail, Contacts,& Calendars.

Mail Server Information

3 replies

May 22, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root, Thanks - I didn't know that was an option!

I don't really know what iCloud is - with only a desktop, I've not felt the need to look into it before now. At first glance, it looks complicated enough that it's probably going to take me a while to figure it out.

One reservation I have about going with Apple email is this: My goal is to get an email address which is relatively permanent, so I don't have to keep updating my email address with friends, family, and financial institutions. As long-time Mac users know, Apple has no qualms about creating the Next Big Thing, then abandoning it a few years later. Remember .mac accounts (2002-2008); and MobileMe (2008-2012)?

I know there is no point in trying to predict what Apple is going to in the next 4-5 years - but their history does not give me much confidence in the longevity of an "@iCloud" email address.

This site says: "iCloud Mail uses the IMAP and SMTP standards supported by most modern email apps. iCloud does not support POP."

I've always used POP, so I don't know much about IMAP - is it true that IMAP email is not downloaded to my iMac, but lives only on the IMAP server?

What third party Email works with Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.