Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to connect my 4th gen Ipod to my itunes library, it will not show?

When I try to connect my 4th gen Ipod to my itunes library, it used to popup on the left as Johns Ipod and i could then drag songs from my library over to the top right into my ipod music library or playlists? Now it won't even show up anywhere on my library screens???? My son said it's because of my downloading more recent versions of Itunes making it now incompatible with older ipods? If that's the case, i want to go back to an earlier version in itunes? Help?!

iPod classic

Posted on May 21, 2015 8:45 AM

8 replies

May 26, 2015 11:19 AM in response to Raicya

Thank you for trying to help me! With an old Itunes version, all i did was plug my ipod 4th gen in the usb port and very soon, the icon showed up on the left under John's Ipod...then in the upper right, it would also say john's ipod (and i could look at all the music on my ipod and I could delete some of the or add on and i could add songs from my itunes library simply by dragging them to that upper right icon.....now when i plug in my ipod, noting pops up with my ipod music lists. 😟

May 28, 2015 1:08 PM in response to jjwilson321

I can also confirm "old" iPod's still function with iTunes 12.1.2.27 - first try a different cable and/or alternative USB port to rule out that as an issue. When it connects you might have to opens iTunes yourself because Auto Sync is not ticked (top of "Options" section), you should see an iPod icon appear under the music/volume controls - click and you should open the iPod Side Bar. Highlight "Summary" at the top of the Side Bar and you should see three sections, iPod details (top), Backups (middle) and Options (bottom) - towards the bottom of the Options section tick "Manually manage music...." and then click Sync (bottom right).

If you don't see any sign of the iPod on connecting (usually it also shows as an icon on your desktop if your Finder Preferences is so set) it's either a faulty cable, dirty dock connector, problem USB port or some hardware failure internal to the iPod.

When I try to connect my 4th gen Ipod to my itunes library, it will not show?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.