Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a router modem can anyone tell me how to connect my new AirPort capsule

have a router modem can anyone tell me how to connect my new AirPort capsule?

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 21, 2015 10:12 AM

22 replies

May 21, 2015 10:28 AM in response to patfromclyde

have a router modem can anyone tell me how to connect my new AirPort capsule?

Use an Ethernet cable to connect permanently from one of the LAN <--> ports on the modem/router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule. The Time Capsule can be located anywhere that an Ethernet cable will reach, up to 300+ feet or about 100 meters

As far as setup is concerned, the configuration "wizard" will make things very easy for you, so you don't have to worry about jargon like "IP addresses" and "Bridge Mode".

Just follow the simple steps in the Setup Guide or post back if you need more help.

May 21, 2015 12:20 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Do you have a Setup Guide handy for any recent AirPort router? The instructions are right there in the guide.

Apple has been using this for the past 3 years.

To set it up:

1. 1 Open AirPort Utility, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.
  2. 2 Select your AirPort Extreme.......choose it from the Wi-Fi status menu in the menu bar.
  3. 3 Follow the onscreen instructions to create a new network or extend an existing network.

You can even skip step one if you want. When you click on the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen, click on AirPort Extreme. Example below.

User uploaded file

That will get the Setup Wizard running automatically. It will take a minute to analyze the network, then present the correct screen. For the subject of this thread, the wizard will display a window that looks similar to this, except a Time Capsule will be pictured and a Time Capsule will appear in the window just above.

User uploaded file

Network Name........Enter the name of the wireless network that you want to use

Base Station Name.......Enter the device name that you want to use for the Time Capsule

Password........Enter a password that will be used for the wireless and base station

Verify......Confirm the password

Click Next

The utility will set up everything automatically, including using Bridge Mode for the Time Capsule. That's it.

If you want to use an iPhone or iPad for the setup.......

On the iOS device home screen.....

Tap Settings.....(gear icon)

Tap WiFi

Tap on Time Capsule under the heading of New AirPort Base Station

The iPhone or iPad will display the same screen that you see above. Just follow the prompts.

Here is another example.......say you have an AirPort Extreme and you want an AirPort Express to extend the network wirelessly. You would start by selecting AirPort Express from the WiFi Menu.....or if you User uploaded fileare using an iOS device, go Settings > WiFi

User uploaded file

The next screen will look like this:

User uploaded file

All you have to do is enter a device name for the AirPort Express and click Next. The next screen will look like this:

User uploaded file

And, after a minute, the screen will look like this:

User uploaded file

If you are using Ethernet to connect the AirPorts, the utility will detect that automatically during the setup, and you will see a screen that looks like this:

User uploaded file

May 22, 2015 5:39 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Sure, this is fine.

When you initially set up your Airport to add it to your modem or modem/router the 'wizard' will automatically detect how it is connected and set it up correctly.

I suggest that you change the wording of this just a bit to say that the "wizard" will automatically detect how it is connected and set it up correctly.......to something like the wizard will automatically detect how it is connected and suggest the correct type of setup. The user will still need to enter a device name, network names, passwords, etc that they wish to use on the AirPort device when the wizard prompts for that information.

May 22, 2015 8:07 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the suggestion. I've amended the sentence to read: 'When you initially set up your Airport to add it to your modem or modem/router the 'wizard' will automatically detect how it is connected, suggest the correct type of setup, and prompt you to create a name for the Airport, and a name and password for the wireless network you are creating.'

I have a router modem can anyone tell me how to connect my new AirPort capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.