Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a MacBook Pro which needs additional hard drive space added, I'm told. Austin, TX area

I have a MacBook Pro which needs additional hard drive space added, I'm told. I'm also told that the Apple Store won't perform this work. Presently, I'm in the Austin, TX area. Where can I trust my equipment to have this work performed?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 21, 2015 11:08 AM

4 replies

May 21, 2015 8:52 PM in response to dpkelly2

according to Apple these might be your options, assuming you have the 2.6 Ghz.

1TB 5400 rpm hard drive, 750 gig 7200 rpm hard drive or a 512 gig SSD officially. Macsales says up to 1 TB ssd for $460, but this is my best guesstimate

I don't know if the Apple store for sure won't install it. All I can tell you is call them or find an Apple authorized place that will do that for you*cough* Tyrosys

*cough* *cough* maybe austin apple repair. or Austin Macworks, MacTronics or even the Apple Store Barton Creek/ Apple sotre The Domain

Of course I could be full of it, well, maybe half-full. I don't see why they couldn't do it. After all you have a MacBook, it's an Apple Product, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind the work and the money

so, give 'em a call-that's all

JB

May 22, 2015 2:27 AM in response to dpkelly2

Ant 2.5" dia. SATA HDD or SSD will be compatible with your MBP. Here are some representative drives that will fit from OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/

There are other vendors as well such as Newegg and Amazon.

At the present time, the largest capacity HDDs are 2 TB and the SSDs are 1 TB.

Please look at this video which shows how a HDD is installed in a 2012 MB).

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_15_unibody_mid12_hd/

It is very easy and only requires a #00 Phillips and a #6 Torx drivers, both of which can be purchased at a good hardware store.

Also consider a purchasing an enclosure for your current HDD allowing it to be used externally.

Ciao.

I have a MacBook Pro which needs additional hard drive space added, I'm told. Austin, TX area

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.