Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i set mail so that i get a "Read receipt" from the recipients

I want to get a Read or opened receipt from my mail recipients how do I do it

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.3.x), mail program

Posted on May 21, 2015 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 10:50 AM

Mac Mail

Sorry, there is no preference or menu option available for setting up a read receipt request.

Best.

5 replies

May 22, 2015 6:02 AM in response to alhow

alhow - I'm sorry. I realize and understand how you want to use it and that you see such a feature as very valuable. Where I am not clear is if you understand that using the feature is no guarantee that the information the feature returns is accurate. It is the unknown accuracy that leads me to term the feature "pointless."

Since there is no way to enforce it - that is, a message can be opened, read (or not) and deleted (or not) without the corresponding alert being sent the message originator - there is little real use for the feature to even exist. Similarly, one can cause the read receipt to be returned to the sender without actually reading the message.

I presume it is for this sort of reason that Apple chose to not implement the read receipt in Mail.

how do i set mail so that i get a "Read receipt" from the recipients

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.