Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI Keyboard stops sending signal.

I have a Novation Impulse 49, and overtime I start playing something on Logic Pro X it works for a few minutes and then suddenly it stops sending the signal. The light however is on on the keyboard. To make sure I don't have to quit logic pro X and start it again, I go to preferences and reset MIDI drivers and it starts working again. But I don't understand why does this keep happening.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Logic Pro X - Software

Posted on May 21, 2015 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 2:55 AM

A cheap unpowered 1/4 hub will do too. Strange, cause i never had that problem before using an M-Audio Keystation 88. Maybe some shady update somewhere in Logic, cause with other app it doesn't disconnect. Anyway,..solved! ;-)

4 replies

May 29, 2015 9:50 PM in response to Arjunshah1

Try to figure out if the problem is with Logic or with the System (connection, USB port, etc)

Next time when you lose the MIDI input, open the Audio MIDI Setup utilities app (in the Utilities folder):

• Open the MIDI Studio Window (cmd+2).
  • Select the "Test Setup" icon in the Toolbar
  • Now when you play your external MIDI Keyboard (which should be displayed on that window), you will hear a ping sound when OSX receives that MIDI Message. That means that OSX (your computer) receives the MIDI signal and your USB connection (power) is ok.
  • If you don't hear the sound, then it means that it lost connection and you have to click on the "Rescan MIDI" button on the Tool bar. A currently disconnected device (which was connected previously) is still displayed in the window, but it is grayed out.

User uploaded file

If OSX sees your external MIDI Keyboard but you still don't have connection, then you should further check in the Environment to trouble shoot Logic itself.

Tip

Here is another tip that I further describe in my manual "Logic Pro X - The Details". Go to the System Preferences and select the "Notification" item. There you find Logic Pro X in the left Sidebar. Activate the Alerts on the right.

User uploaded file

Now every time Logic "want' to tell you something important", you will get a notification banner in the upper right corner of you computer screen, which is also listed in the OSX Notification section.

Just activate that preferences feature to see all the types of notification that Logic can send (Number of MIDI ports changed, Export completed, New Sounds available, download completed, etc)

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

MIDI Keyboard stops sending signal.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.