Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore using an ethernet usb adapter

Hello

I've a Macbook pro late 2013 without ethernet adapter. I bought an extern USB one. I need to restore a backup on timecapsule. When in reboot using Cmd + R the external USB ethernet adapter is not detected (led off) and only the wifi is working. It's a 400GB backup, using wifi (802.11n) take about 17 hours.

Do you know a way to :

1. Make the USB ethernet adaptor detected when restoring (when using time capsule restore using Cmd + R)

2. Make the time capsule use an external drive to store backups so I could restore backups using an USB cable to the hard drives (without having to use the time capsule ?)

Cheers

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 21, 2015 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 2:31 PM

You should have bought the thunderbolt to ethernet.. I am pretty sure it will work during boot.

It might still be better deal than the messing around you are going to do.

There is a couple of ways to restore.

You can actually install the OS only from USB stick.. and then use migrate assistant to move all your files and settings across .. !!

Or you can with the help of someone with a Mac copy the backup from the TC to a USB drive.. but that is likely to take as long as doing it over wireless in the end. By the time you move the backup and then actually load the backup.. it is faster to just do it by wireless.

Anyway see Q18 for how to move backups around.

http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2015 2:31 PM in response to DamienGavard

You should have bought the thunderbolt to ethernet.. I am pretty sure it will work during boot.

It might still be better deal than the messing around you are going to do.

There is a couple of ways to restore.

You can actually install the OS only from USB stick.. and then use migrate assistant to move all your files and settings across .. !!

Or you can with the help of someone with a Mac copy the backup from the TC to a USB drive.. but that is likely to take as long as doing it over wireless in the end. By the time you move the backup and then actually load the backup.. it is faster to just do it by wireless.

Anyway see Q18 for how to move backups around.

http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

May 21, 2015 4:30 PM in response to DamienGavard

From the recovery boot screen you should have opportunity to select the network adapter..

Apple hide info often by simply avoiding mention of it.. The problem with the USB to Ethernet adapter is the need for drivers.. whereas a USB disk can be a boot device when plugged directly into the Mac so there is no issues with using it for TM.

I would test it but I only have Macs with ethernet ports..

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Skips USB as connection method.. thunderbolt and firewire however are mentioned.. I am hopeful but don't know for sure.

It will depend on what drivers are needed.. I wonder if loading a driver is possible into the recovery partition??

Restore using an ethernet usb adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.