Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create a slideshow from a photobook in "photos 1.0"?

In "photos 1.0" file->export from a photo book project is grayed out therefore I cannot export my photo book content as m4v (slideshow) file or jpeg as I used to do iPhoto 9.6.1. The only option I find is to "print" and save as pdf but cannot create a slideshow from a pdf.

I see how to create a slideshow from an album, but don't know how to create a slideshow out of a photo book project in Photos 1.0.

Please help.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 21, 2015 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 11:23 AM

There is no option for that in Photos. Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

There is a rather long winded workaround to get each page of a Photos book converted to a jpeg and imported into Photos so they can be used as slides in a a slideshow. If you're interested I'll finish up my instructions and post them.

User uploaded file

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2015 11:23 AM in response to evoolb

There is no option for that in Photos. Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

There is a rather long winded workaround to get each page of a Photos book converted to a jpeg and imported into Photos so they can be used as slides in a a slideshow. If you're interested I'll finish up my instructions and post them.

User uploaded file

May 21, 2015 11:36 AM in response to Old Toad

@old toad:

Thank you for a confirmation there is no easy automatic way to export the content of photo book project in "Photos 1.0".

I do know how to manually create an album with the photo book content and then create a slide show of that album therefore please do not loose your time explaining but thank you for a helpful comment.

May 21, 2015 12:12 PM in response to evoolb

Your suggestion does not work as "photos 1.0" then asks me to select pictures from the general library

😟

Photos does everything to prevent us from use the selected photos in a book, sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase.

It is not even possible to drag the selected photos to an album.

And we cannot define a smart album based on the photos in the book or any project. I hope the future versions of photos will be less restrictive. I cannot imagine any reason why these restrictions are necessary.

May 21, 2015 7:45 PM in response to léonie

@ Leonie:

Now we are on the same page Leonie I follow your logic and expectation how export of photos from a photo book project should work and can confirm your findings that it does not work as we both expect.

The only way to export the entire content of a photo book I found is to print as a pdf file.

Then there are ways to convert to jpeg.

May 21, 2015 10:13 PM in response to evoolb

The only way to export the entire content of a photo book I found is to print as a pdf file.

Then there are ways to convert to jpeg.

It would be easier to recreate your Book/Slideshow in Keynote or iBook Author, if you want a slideshow with text.

Do you have the "Save PDF to Folder as JPEG" action in your "PDF" dropdown menu, when you Print as PDF?

User uploaded file

May 22, 2015 11:30 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

Have a look at this page: https://photoapps.expert/help/faqs/common-aperture-questions-issues-and-rep/work flows-save-pdf-to-aperture-save-pdf-to-folder-as-jpeg-ar.html#.VV9ncO4VdHg

Thank you, I see how to use automator workflow to convert all pages of a PDF file into JPEG files.

Then I could import JPEG files into Photos album and create a slideshow from that album.

I miss the export action of iPhoto which in one step generated a m4v slideshow of my photo books.

How to create a slideshow from a photobook in "photos 1.0"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.