Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Remote Desktop questions

I am thinking about using Remote Desktop to access another computer over the internet on a different network. I have not found a detailed, comprehensive description of how to do this so I have a few questions.

1. Do I need to use VPN or can I set it up with direct access between the the host and client?

2. I have seen that I will have to open some ports. Do the ports have to be open on my end, the other end or on both?

3. I have a Motorola NGV589 modem with wireless turned off. It is the dhcp server (I think my terminology is correct or close). I have 3 Airport Extremes connected to the network by ethernet, all in bridge mode with one connected to the Motorola. I think I considered doing this before and seem to recall having to put the Motorola in bridge mode and making one of the extremes the NAT but I can't remember so the question is can I get the system to work as I currently have it set up?

4. We are currently using Teamviewer but from some things I have read online, using a properly configured Remote Desktop is a faster setup. Is this correct?

5. Is there a better, faster connection than either Teamviewer or Remote Desktop? In other words is it worth spending the money for Remote Desktop?

Thanks for any advise.

Posted on May 21, 2015 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2015 2:16 PM

You'll find it more straightforward to start with a VPN connection. Otherwise, you need a handful of of specific ports, some TCP some UDP:

TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support

Apple Remote Desktop is essentially a beefed-up version of Screen Sharing, which is Apple's built-in VNC implementation, so you can get a feel for the performance for free. If all you need is remote observation / control, a shared clipboard, and simple drag and drop transfer of files between a handful of machines you may not need the extra features of ARD:

https://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

There is no magic solution to 'not enough bandwidth' so don't buy the snake oil. VNC is good and if it is not usable then you either pay for faster network connections or use ssh.

C.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2015 2:16 PM in response to baddabing

You'll find it more straightforward to start with a VPN connection. Otherwise, you need a handful of of specific ports, some TCP some UDP:

TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support

Apple Remote Desktop is essentially a beefed-up version of Screen Sharing, which is Apple's built-in VNC implementation, so you can get a feel for the performance for free. If all you need is remote observation / control, a shared clipboard, and simple drag and drop transfer of files between a handful of machines you may not need the extra features of ARD:

https://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

There is no magic solution to 'not enough bandwidth' so don't buy the snake oil. VNC is good and if it is not usable then you either pay for faster network connections or use ssh.

C.

May 21, 2015 2:16 PM in response to baddabing

1. A VPN is not necessary. It can be direct, however, there will need to be some configurations made on the remote side's router.

2. More than opening ports, you'll need to forward the remote desktop port on the remote router to point to the remote computer's internal IP address. also if you have a firewall on the remote computer you will need to open the required forwarded port there so it allows access.

Unlike Teamviewer, you will use the remote site's public IP address to access the computer.

3. The local setup is not really important, As long as you have an internet connection, that is all you need.

4. Not particularly, the connection speed is dependent on the local and remote internet access. Teamviewer is unlikely to be any slower or faster than ARD

5. Unlikely, as all depend on the internet connection on each side. With that said however, ARD does offer quite a few morel more management and admin features for Macs that Teamviewer does not.

If all you need is access to the desktop, ARD may be overkill.

https://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/features.html

Apple Remote Desktop questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.